What is killing Jr. Bonners chickens?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is killing Jr. Bonners chickens?

• Coons

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Possums

Votes: 18 36.0%
  • Skunks

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Rats

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Other

Votes: 16 32.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is no way that adolescent possum could have lifted the carcass without tripping the pan. I think a canine did it, because it cleared the 4' tall chicken wire fence, with the bird in its mouth. I did not find feathers. Anywhere. It took the carcass and fled. Did not touch the canned dog food that the possum took the next night. But the possum could have been what was eating the entrails out of the birds. I don't know, though.

Relentless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just stab the rebar stake right through the can through the floor of the trap into the ground. Easy peasy and takes less time and keeps something from taking the bait or rolling the trap over.

I use tuna in oil usually, I don't want all the oil to leak out on the ground because it never fails every time I get lazy with it and let that happen, it rains

COZICAN

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always use cheap canned cat food with fish (the chunky stuff). I can keep it on hand and its easy to set and dispose of.

cinco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have your chickens started wearing bones through the nose? Have they started playing jungle drums? They might be CANNIBALS - ahhhh! Damn vent peckers!

www.rootsimple.com_wp_content_uploads_2012_11_rhodeislandcan.jpg

http://www.rootsimple.com/2007/08/chicken-cannibalism/

Cannibalism is common amongst chickens and there are a number of theories as to why it happens including dietary inadequacies, genetics and simple chicken boredom. The most plausible theory in our opinion is that cannibalism results from insufficient opportunity to forage.

ph-310201295631AM-E-3450-2012-046.jpg

Don't see thread titles like this one every day! Talk about desperation.

Hens' butts being eaten out - One dead - HELP

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/314187/hens-butts-being-eaten-out-one-dead-help

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have your chickens started wearing bones through the nose? Have they started playing jungle drums? They might be CANNIBALS - ahhhh! Damn vent peckers!

www.rootsimple.com_wp_content_uploads_2012_11_rhodeislandcan.jpg

http://www.rootsimple.com/2007/08/chicken-cannibalism/

ph-310201295631AM-E-3450-2012-046.jpg

Don't see thread titles like this one every day! Talk about desperation.

Hens' butts being eaten out - One dead - HELP

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/314187/hens-butts-being-eaten-out-one-dead-help

Look at those sores on the bottoms of their feet. Now, my birds are very old. They are pets now, and no longer lay any eggs. We got them back when the kids were 11 and 12 years old. Now the kids are grown and gone. They were 150, and paid for their upkeep in the sale of eggs. Now they are down to 11. I just got done feeding them some buttered microwave popcorn.

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now that I have had a chance to see some pictures, I think that it is one of your other birds killing the hens. I have one old hen, 6 or 7 years old, and she killed two young hens this last year, pecked them in the tail area till the died from the trauma. I had separated
them for a while before the fatal attacks, let them heal up, put them back together and thought everything was cool. Then suddenly she turned cold blooded killer again, and finished them off.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just stab the rebar stake right through the can through the floor of the trap into the ground. Easy peasy and takes less time and keeps something from taking the bait or rolling the trap over.

That's what I do.

I've had them dig under the trap, and move the can of cat food to the side and eat it through the wire. The rebar stops that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom