Anyone in OKC reload 762x54r?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have some fired once 762x54r PPU brass and wondered if it would be possible to find someone that could reload it. And would that be any cheaper than buying it new?

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Start reloading yourself, it's not a bad hobby to start. I reload it, but it's not worth someones time/trouble to do it for someone else unless they are a good friend and it is convenient. Sure the ammo will be a bit cheaper and probably better quality. Cast lead would definitely cut the price down.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That midway link to the calssic loader ,,is what i started with in 30-30.

It works well.. BUTTT do realize this is a neck sizer only. and not all brass will have the same neck thickness so case neck ID can be different.

For my .308 and some cases the classic loader sized the necks so tight that the ID was .301"
You will love it if your cases get sized to what you want.

I later found some range picked up brass would not chamber in my gun after using the classic loader.
I eventually purchased real dies and a single stage cast iron Lee press.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
total waste of time if you are talking cases with berdan primers ...
All the PPU I've seen is boxer primed ... FWIW.

And a note that goes with the neck sizing comments above ... there are two possible correct expanders - one if you're going to use .308 diameter bullets, and a different one if you're going to use the .309 to .311 diameter (military standard) bullets. Lee's die set ships with the one for .308, for instance.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes PPU is boxer primed. And right now I simply don't have a place to setup to do reloading. (Wife won't let me use the dining room table). For now I'm just trying to get 30-40 rds so I can go to the range and function test a new member of the safe and one that I have repaired and reassembled.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is an idea.
You buy the reloading dies and you can use my reloading room and my scale etc. I will help you out.
Just bring your dies and your bullets powder etc.
You may get an idea of how to conserve space when looking at my reloading table.
Research that round you want to reload and see what powder and load most people seem to like.. That may get you close enough to find something that works well in your gun.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All the PPU I've seen is boxer primed ... FWIW.

And a note that goes with the neck sizing comments above ... there are two possible correct expanders - one if you're going to use .308 diameter bullets, and a different one if you're going to use the .309 to .311 diameter (military standard) bullets. Lee's die set ships with the one for .308, for instance.

had to dig to find out what PPU meant :D

with military 54r ammo so cheap it's almost not worth reloading unless you are needing hunting specific loads or what ever. it's been about 3 years, but I paid $115 for a Mosin-Nagant in mint condition with 440 rounds.

now it's about $100 for a 440 round tin http://gunwatcher.com/Search/762x54r-for-sale?t=5 ... probably all corrosive, but ya gots to clean after shooting anyways ... no it's not match ammo but more than acceptable accuracy for iron sights.

Latest posts

Top Bottom