I caught the Red Baron .......on camera!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got a little friend whom I call the Red Baron at my house......(could be a she...Red Baroness??) that's a Cooper's Hawk.

This little fart is either sitting on top of my fence with no birds at the feeder(he scares the *&^% out of the birds) OR there is a pile of feathers that he leaves me as a memento of his visit.

Every time I see him I can't get to a camera fast enough to take his picture........that is until today!!

Around noon I was in the kitchen warming up smoked turkey and the rest of the food and happened to look out my back door. DANG IT...there must have been at least 50 pigeons that needed to be shooo-ed off. I always scare off the pigeons so the wild birds can get a bite of food.

Well, I went to get my warmed up food, fill my plate, walk by the back door and glance out.

My little buddy the Red Baron had caught his post Thanksgiving meal and was starting to eat it. I put down my plate of food, grabbed my phone and snapped a few shots of 'em.

He must have taken an hour to an hour and a half to eat that pigeon. Then what little was left of the pigeon he grabbed and flew off....leaving me with a reminder(pile of feathers) of his visit.

Du hest gute arbeit geleistet!!!..........translation...........You've done a good day's work!!!

Here they are( pictures) and please forgive the quality...they're from my phone and I had to slightly open the blinds and shoot the pictures between the blinds.

red baron I.jpg

red baron II.jpg

red baron III.jpg

red baron IV.jpg

cinco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That hawk is obviously eating very well. I see a few around here but the predominant hawk is the typical Red-tail.

Agree, he/she sure isn't missing any meals - looks fat! Thanks for sharing, I love watching the raptors hunt.

Funny side story. Was training a hunting lab many moons ago on Chukar. Dog flushed the Chukar and I hear a "rawwwwwwwwww" and this hawk swooped down and "hopped" my shot! Caught it right in the back between the wings and flew off. One of the damnest things I ever saw. Dog gave me the look too, like WTF was that?

Latest posts

Top Bottom