Feds sue EoTech

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I wouldn't call it a piece of trash unless you are using it in very cold temps. I've owned a couple and have friends that put the number into the dozens that have never had an issue. But to the DoD there most definitely are some issues with them.

I can say from experience that most of the gravity of this suit comes from the fact that they covered it up rather than the actual problems with the system. That's evidenced by the fact that the DoD kept taking delivery and issuing them. If the problems were of a really serious magnitude, it would have shown up in the field long before it became known, they took delivery for what 10 years? But with all that said, Paul Magano should be in prison. I've actually seen people convicted and sent to prison for falsifying inspection reports on .gov contracts. That guy went to GREAT pains to keep the problems quiet. He fired a co-founder that wanted to disclose for a long time before they did and I'm kinda shocked that it was actually kept quiet for as long as it was. Stupid is as stupid does....

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never shot in any extreme temps to check the accuracy drift that the suit is about, but I've never been 100% happy with my 512 Eotech; it uses AA batteries and the contacts in the battery compartment need to be cleaned every so often.
And sometimes the sight just goes dead with recoil! The Eotech site says:
"Reticle Flashes, or Flashes On and Off, or Unit Turns Off During Recoil
This is the low-battery indicator."

So, if someone is shooting at me the first indicator I get that the batteries are low is that the sight goes dead?!!

R. Johnson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I wouldn't call it a piece of trash unless you are using it in very cold temps.

It's not just cold weather though. SOF put out a safety of use message a couple months ago (SSD reported on it) and the message said that the sights experience a wandering zero below -40 and above 120. That sounds like no big deal, but the inside of a car in the summer in Oklahoma easily exceeds that. Additionally the message says humidity also has a negative effect on the gunsight. I don't recall if it defined humidity though (eg what percentage of humidity).

R. Johnson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now I have to be clear. I don't expect to use my carbine in those conditions. I don't expect to leave it in my Jeep in the summer. I expect it to reside in my closet only to come out for range work and carbine courses. But if Mars attacks, or the zombies come, or red dawn happens, or the second American Revolution, or what have you ( yes, yes, I know, I'm a nut) I want my optic to work.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hear ya. And don't blame you either. I've always just had a preference for Aimpoints. Put a battery in them, zero them and forget them for a couple of years, then change the battery and repeat. Don't even have to turn them off!

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've shot mine in pretty extreme heat and never had a problem. Also I use lithium batteries even in my ones that take AA batteries. Lithiums do have a better range of performance than alkaline.

Latest posts

Top Bottom