Walling in a room

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking for some advice here. In my house I currently have an accordion wall (think elementary school) dividing two rooms. I am now tasked with walking it in and taking the accordion wall out. I know the basics of framing (I studied that in Francis Tuttle many years ago) so I under stand 16" studs the top and bottom plates ect. Here's where it's getting tricky, where the wall is going to be the Joists will be running parallel with the wall, how will I mount the top plate in this situation? I was planning on mounting the bottom plate with tap cons into the slab and the sides with some screws. Also will I need to remove the Sheetrock from where the top plate is or will I brok just leaving it?

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for some advice here. In my house I currently have an accordion wall (think elementary school) dividing two rooms. I am now tasked with walking it in and taking the accordion wall out. I know the basics of framing (I studied that in Francis Tuttle many years ago) so I under stand 16" studs the top and bottom plates ect. Here's where it's getting tricky, where the wall is going to be the Joists will be running parallel with the wall, how will I mount the top plate in this situation? I was planning on mounting the bottom plate with tap cons into the slab and the sides with some screws. Also will I need to remove the Sheetrock from where the top plate is or will I brok just leaving it?

You are going to have to go into the attic, and run some 2x between the joists, 12-16" OC. You can screw your top plate to these.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You probably will have to go in the attic and put some bracing between your existing rafters, to nail the new wall to...
No need to remove existing sheetrock, you might want to take the wall out later....

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How long is the wall, and will it be anchored to another wall (studs) on both ends? You might be able to get by without attaching the top plate at all - just let it float and use some crown molding on both sides to hide the joint.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
12' long.

Good news I think there is a joist up there, took some of the screws from the rail on the wall out and ran a 4" deck screw in there and it appears to have wood shavings on it and I had to put some muscle into screwing it in instead of it stripping out like it would in drywall.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's 2 12x12 rooms divided by an acordian wall, each room has an hvac vent on the floor.

I thought about an outlet but the wife wasn't sure of one was needed. I think I may run a pull wire into a box just I case

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Plan on additional electrical outlets. Perfect time to get some more in.

Great point above. Also, as mentioned earlier, nail in some 2X material so it is flush with the drywall in the attic. Basically like an anchor point you would do on walls in the bathroom before the Sheetrock goes up for screwing towel racks/bars to. Do them the same spacing on center as your studs but I'd make them 2x8 minimum as it give you more wiggle room for nailing/scewing the top plate. I would also insulate with some sort of sound deadening between the studs. Whether basic insulation our in combination with a sound deadening Sheetrock I'd do something.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What will the rooms be used for? Will you (ever) need phone, cable, ethernet? Put them in now if you can, and leave several runs of string or thin rope in conduit for pulling cables later.

Latest posts

Top Bottom