Best Chainsaw to buy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have run a Stihl long enough I wouldn't think of buying anything else. It may cost more but buy once cry once and be done.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why would you say this? Is there an issue with an 18" bar?

My post clarified why...

If you have a motor that is on the small side for an 18" bar, the motor will lug when cutting wood that is the width of the bar, while a properly sized motor will stay in the rpms that will cut the tree faster and keep that 2 stroke motor revved up. Some box store brands have motors smaller than necessary for a bigger bar. (Not just an 18" bar, but any bar bigger than the motor can perform)

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a Stihl MS170 for a light, around-the-house use saw (limbing, cleanup, light firewood work, etc.). I ended up needing to use it on some pretty big stuff earlier this year and it did just fine. Bought mine from P&K in Owasso but can't recommend anyone in your area.

As for the ethanol fuel, there are recommended additives which can be added to eliminate the hazards of ethanol. With the way some of the fuel suppliers behave, you might not be getting the straight gas (ethanol-free) that you think you're getting anyway.

djcorrell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Dolmar, most people have never heard of them. They are sold more for commercial use. These are light weight for the power they make, and run really smooth. Has the least vibration of any chainsaw I have ever used. Put a longer Oregon bar and chain on it, and it cuts like butter.

Redmule454

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Stihl chainsaw starts up every fall/winter when I start cutting and the weed/brush trimmer fires up each spring. I always use clean non-ethanol gas. No muss, no fuss, they just run, run, run.....
The initial cost is more but I don't spend time (which is money) working on them.

Old Timer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up a large Craftsman (25-30?) years ago when they still made then right.
Used it for years, until I had back problems, then I bought a Stihl after using them
at the fire department. I have used my little Stihl for years for most things,
Get out the big Craftsman when I need a longer blade.

I have used aviation fuel (100LL) mixed with 2 cycle oil for years.
There is NO ethanol,and has a shelf life of years. I try to run the saws out when finished,
but have never had a problem when I forgot, or when someone else uses them.

I would buy another Stihl in a heart beat. Check Northern tool, they have factory
refurbish ones for a lot less then retail. www.northerntool.com

Latest posts

Top Bottom