Question for the diesel mechanics - International 4700

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric_Williams

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have a 99 international 4700 with the DT466 and it was starting and running for 5-10 seconds then dying. When we started looking at it it started and did this 3 times the the 4th time i hit the start button and nothing. The starter didnt spin and no relays clicked. Dash lights worked, gauges did there thing but nothing else. We have another one that runs and we swapped the starter button and that didn't help so im at a loss. Oh the water/oil light lit up when it shut off the first 3 times and this truck had been sitting for about a year ish getting the box fixed. Anyone have any ideas where to start or what to do? I wont be able to look at it again for a little while.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
While in storage, was there a chance of rat/mice damage? I've been around several over the years and they've all been electrically sound.

Eric_Williams

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ill go through and check all of them but next time im out there im going to take the batteries out of the running truck and out in that one to see if it makes a difference.

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check the battery connections and voltage first. I have replaced a starter relay before. The two symptoms may or may not be related. If you get it to crank, check the fuel bowl and see if it has fluid in it, it may not be pulling in fuel from the tank, meaning cracked line/seal issue or restriction.

Eric_Williams

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When it ran 5-10 sec was it rough?

No it actually ran good for sitting as long as it had.

Probably both a bad battery/connections and plugged fuel filter(s). Start at the fuel/water separator and drain that first then work toward the engine.

I drained the separator but i will get a new fuel filter too and replace it.

Check the battery connections and voltage first. I have replaced a starter relay before. The two symptoms may or may not be related. If you get it to crank, check the fuel bowl and see if it has fluid in it, it may not be pulling in fuel from the tank, meaning cracked line/seal issue or restriction.

The starter relay was where i was headed after the batteries.

Latest posts

Top Bottom