OFFICIAL January '16 AR15 build party thread!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
AR15 build party

Date:
January 17th, 2016

Time:

1:00 PM / 1300 hrs local
until...

Tulsa, OK

Map link

Details:
Must not be legally prohibited from access or proximity to firearms.
No alcohol, please.
No live ammunition, please (CC/OC exempted, provided you keep it holstered unless an immediate need for use arises).

You do not need to bring your own parts or weapons if you do not wish to specifically build anything. There may be some extra parts/builds going on. And many can be disassembled and reassembled for practice. If you have something you want installed, or a complete build - bring it!

Tools - bring what ya got! If you have a forearm or barrel nut or other accessory that needs special tools, bring it, although someone may have it there, if it's not too uncommon.

Bring a chair. Folding chair, camp chair, whatever you think would be comfortable - if you wanna bring your favorite recliner, it's likely someone will help you carry it inside, although they might want to sit a spell and take a nap.

The facility has a wall-attached bench with vice. I will bring 2 smaller workbenches (approx 30x24") each with a solidly-attached vice. I also have lower and upper vice blocks for 5.56. Anyone with .308 blocks is welcome to bring them. Someone mentioned the Geissele action rod - I don't have one, but would be interested in trying one out. We could use a couple of torque wrenches. Mine walked off somewhere. I may look into picking one up in the interim. Pawn shop time! lol

If you have extra parts bins, bring them! I'm sure there will be some swapping of parts here and there. Uppers, lowers, whatever. Doesn't matter to me, and it's perfectly legal even for complete rifles or uppers or lowers. I will bring a few bags of odds and ends and will probably pick up some "oops!" kits from FBT beforehand.

Some of those lights that will clip to a workbench and be moved around to shine on a workstation might be good. I have one or two I can bring. Feel free to bring a Dremel or something, I will probably bring mine along with some various bits. I've found the need to sand a few hundredths off the inside of a gas block or something sometimes.

Even if you aren't building, if you just want to learn, or if you're an old hat, you might have some tricks to share. Come on out!

Food:

Bring what ya want. We can coordinate this separately. Drinks the same. I'll be bringing an ice chest with plenty of drinks for myself, mostly Diet Mt. Dew. Once again, no alcohol, please, guys. If some of us want to go out for a beer or three afterwards, that could certainly be arranged. ;)

Feel free to contact me via PM or post here with further questions. I'll provide my phone number via PM if you want for texting. If I don't answer a question immediately, I may be working a stretch of nights and I will get to it in a day or two. We'll get all the details ironed out.

Looking forward to it!

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please post your intent to come in this thread, though last minute additions won't be turned away. Just trying to get an idea of how many are actually planning on coming. If you have special contributions (various tools, etc.) post that as well. And what parts or things you are bringing or what you might need. So we know how many are building, how many are watching/learning and how many are "supervising", lol. Again... this is fluid, no worries if you decide at the last minute to bring something or whatever.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am planning on coming. I may bring my son. I have an Anderson stripped lower and hope to have the lower build kit from FBT by then.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If anybody has a 5.56 bore sight, bring it please, hopefully we can get the bang bang partially sighted in after building it. :)

Torque wrench? I have one but no idea if it's any where close to being in calibration.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dunno how to get a torque wrench calibrated, either. I think the range is very wide, like 30-80 lbs for the barrel nut? I've never had too much of a problem indexing. Never used a torque wrench for it, myself. I'll try to remember to get some barrel nut shims, as well. Keep posting up ideas, folks... brainstorm for possible needs.

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm planning on coming just to meet some folks and look over some shoulders. I won't be bringing anything to build, but I'll bring my spare parts, tools, and a torque wrench just in case they're needed by someone.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wish I could come out but I don't know if I will be able to drive much by then.

If I can I have a Brownells torque tool, Some punches, a portable vise, click style torque wrench, and a few other things that may help. Will need help carrying in stuff or have to take a lot of trips.

If someone is driving that way from OKC I would rather catch them though. Won't be building but need to zero in my backup sights if someone wants to help out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom