Is .40 S&W Dead??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okchief

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there any practical use for a .40 anymore?? Does anyone out there still believe in the usefulness of the round or is it dead??
Nobody seems to be interested in them at the moment..

okchief

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I loved the .40s I had. I recently made the switch to replace them with 9mm only because I want the pistols I use most to run the same rounds as my Scorpion Evo. But I'm sure I'll get another .40 one day when I have the extra funds or come across a deal I can't pass up.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is there any practical use for a .40 anymore?? Does anyone out there still believe in the usefulness of the round or is it dead??
Nobody seems to be interested in them at the moment..

I was never a fan of the .40 until I started shooting one.

Someone talked me into a multicaliber gun that shot .40, 9mm and 357Sig.

One thing that I noticed in the last few years was that when all the 9mm and .380 was off of the shelves, there usually was some .40 and .357Sig.

Dave

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its far from dead, but certainly on the decline. I traded a local gun shop some brass he could resell for product. He sold almost everything quickly but the .40.

It's very popular in the competition shooting sports currently and won't go away any time soon.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The .40 was designed as a compromise, but bullet technology (and increased knowledge, in general, regarding ballistics) have went a long way in showing that there are very few benefits of .40 over 9mm. Interestingly, tho', 10mm is steadily growing.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The .40 was designed as a compromise, but bullet technology (and increased knowledge, in general, regarding ballistics) have went a long way in showing that there are very few benefits of .40 over 9mm. Interestingly, tho', 10mm is steadily growing.

Yep, I dumped all my .40 S&W guns to standardize on 9mm and .45 for defense, but I did pick up a 10mm to use exclusively with hot loads. Sadly I still haven't shot it. Its been so long since I've been to the range, it will be interesting to see how it goes when I finally go. :(

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Agree.
BUT, the proponents of 9mm have used as their holy grail that bullet technology has made the 9mm as powerful as a 20mm cannon round.

The very same bullet technology has been given to the larger calibers that fall into the same velocity. I'm going with larger.

daddy-o

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a .40 a year or two ago. Bought it because I noticed every time there was an ammo scare, there was usually .40 cal on the shelf. I perfer to shoot my 9 or 45. Dont really care for the snap recoil. I can handle it but just personal choice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom