Is .40 S&W Dead??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Still, the best one-shot-stop of all time is a 357 magnum with a 125 gr. JHP @ 1,500 fps...

A coroner will tell you that the a bullet in the middle of the the chest - "between the nipples" WILL drop the BG, no matter what what they are hopped up on!

From FBI reports over the past 20 years, when law enforcement got away from revolvers, and went strictly to semi-automatic handguns, the mortality rate for law enforcement officers, made a drastic increase...

I watched a video of a traffic stop in GA, I think, where the perp received 5 rounds to center mass at point blank range with a .357 and ended up paralyzed on his back in the ditch... the trooper who shot him caught a .22 round in his armpit while retreating around the front of the car and bled out internally and died calling for backup. That little round went in the side around his vest and transected his aorta.

Sucks... sometimes bad luck just gets you. :(

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A coroner will tell you that the a bullet in the middle of the the chest - "between the nipples" WILL drop the BG, no matter what what they are hopped up on!
The infamous Miami shootout that led the FBI to standardize on 10mm featured a bad guy who received a non-survivable wound within the first moments of the fight (one of the agents' shots basically took off the top of his heart), but in the ensuing minutes he still managed to kill or wound several agents before his body finally realized that he was dead. Heck, a quick read-through of Medal of Honor citations will tell you there's no such thing as a "one-shot stopper." If guys who've been hit by artillery, anti-aircraft fire, or land mines can do the stuff some of those guys did, ain't nothin' you can fire with one hand gonna be a guaranteed one-shot man-stopper.

FWIW, the purpose of the center-of-mass shot isn't to do the most damage, it's to maximize your chances of getting a hit. A center-mass hit with a .22LR may not stop the bad guy, but it's a hell of a lot better than a miss with a .44Mag.

CoyoteStalker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally like the .40 a lot. I have shot a few competitions using both 9mm and .40, and the 9mm does allow me to followup slightly quicker. The 9mm is a great round for practicing due to the availability of cheaper buying options, but .40 seems to be more readily available during the low supply periods. While I do carry both calibers for CC, I just have more confidence in the .40 round performing for self defense.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The infamous Miami shootout that led the FBI to standardize on 10mm featured a bad guy who received a non-survivable wound within the first moments of the fight (one of the agents' shots basically took off the top of his heart), but in the ensuing minutes he still managed to kill or wound several agents before his body finally realized that he was dead. Heck, a quick read-through of Medal of Honor citations will tell you there's no such thing as a "one-shot stopper." If guys who've been hit by artillery, anti-aircraft fire, or land mines can do the stuff some of those guys did, ain't nothin' you can fire with one hand gonna be a guaranteed one-shot man-stopper.

FWIW, the purpose of the center-of-mass shot isn't to do the most damage, it's to maximize your chances of getting a hit. A center-mass hit with a .22LR may not stop the bad guy, but it's a hell of a lot better than a miss with a .44Mag.

Death is caused by loss of blood to the brain. Every deer hunter, or using the examples you produced proves there is no man stopper without a hit to the central nervous system.
With their hearts blown into mush, the deer can make 40-80 yds and a human can stay in the fight until their brain shuts down.

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unfortunately, this is not true. You most certainly can physically walk with a broken pelvis and people do it all the time. Throw mind-altering substances into the mix like you're talking about and a pelvic fracture won't do shite.

Now, a HIP or FEMUR fracture may very well do the trick... the pelvis isn't as critical for support and weight-bearing as the hip and femur are. Of course... this goes back to the same issue of trying to aim at a smaller target area rather than center of mass.

In short, no way I'm going to advocate for anything other than center-of-mass targeting.

I think you may have missed the "well-placed" part of my post.. I'm not trying to convince anyone that a shot to the iliac wing area of the pelvis is debilitating. I'm talking "well placed" shots. There is a lot of really cool **** in the center of the pelvis to destroy. It's also a key component to the "vertical string" theory of defensive training. By working the centerline of the body from the pelvis to throat, you improve your chances of critical CNS damage in edition to major vessels.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you may have missed the "well-placed" part of my post.. I'm not trying to convince anyone that a shot to the iliac wing area of the pelvis is debilitating. I'm talking "well placed" shots. There is a lot of really cool **** in the center of the pelvis to destroy. It's also a key component to the "vertical string" theory of defensive training. By working the centerline of the body from the pelvis to throat, you improve your chances of critical CNS damage in edition to major vessels.

Interesting, considering what you actually said....

For instance, if you place a couple well placed shots into the pelvis region, there is a good chance you will interrupt the structure. Bad guys cannot chase you if you break their pelvis. I don't care how high they are, if the wheels are broke, they cannot walk, period...

I guess I assumed that when you said "interrupt the structure" and "Bad guys cannot chase you if you break their pelvis" that what you meant was breaking their pelvis would prevent them from chasing you. Sorry I misunderstood your intent so badly. Certainly someone can bleed out from a pelvic wound, but I wouldn't consider it a primary target, personally.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The reason I carry a pistol round is for CCW.

In that role, 9mm makes more sense:
1) Higher Capacity in platform
2) 124 GD in my Rohrbaugh and 147 HST in my G19
3) I don't feel "under-gunned" at all.

If we are talking home defense, it's either a Rem 870 MCS (12g) or supressed AR with TAP

If SHTF and I'm having to be out roaming the Earth like Mad Max then it's AR all the way.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom