Kel-Tec Sub 2000... is it worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a bunch of Glock .40 mags for my G22 and G27, up to 17- and 30-rounders, so I was thinking of getting one of these. Missed a couple in the Classies, but I wasn't ready to buy just then - I will be in a couple of weeks. Thought it might be fun to shoot, makes sense as a compact foldable carbine to carry on trips and such (in the car/truck, not a plane), keep near the bed, etc. Interchangability of mags and ammo is a big plus.

I see they've come out with a "Gen 2" and there are lots of people out there customizing older ones, not sure about the new ones. I haven't gotten a chance to do any research on the differences on Gen1 and Gen2 yet, I'll probably do that today when I get back from the dentist, unless I get caught up in my new reloading gig. :D

Any of you guys played with one much? G1 or G2? What are the cons? I know the pros, for the most part, I want to know if they live up to their billing, if they're really as flexible and durable as they say, how comfortable/practical are they to shoot, etc.? Real-world experiences, in other words.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The SUB-2000 is an odd weapon. It is very light and handy, easily transportable and great for storage but, IMHO, not durable enough for hard or long-term use. To me it seems most suited for a BOB or stashing somewhere for emergencies when expecting to carry weight and where every pound matters. I only owned the the Gen-1 so I can't speak to differences. My SUB-2000 was reliable and easy to clean, etc. It was the 9mm version taking S&M Model 59 magazines.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had one in 9mm for a bit. It had more recoil than I would have expected , but not a detriment. As a lefty, I got a lot of unburned residue in my face coming from the ejection port. The prices have doubled since I had mine. Seems everyone wants one for their bug out bags. The capability of using the same magazines for two different guns is a big plus.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a Kel-Tec P3AT new several year ago. It's kind of soured me to Kel-Tec, never has been a reliable gun, and it's been to Kel-Tec a couple of times. It collects dust in a back corner of the safe now. The only reason I keep it is because Don Franson blued the slide on it for me, that makes it worth a lot from a sentimental perspective.

I went a different route for a pistol caliber carbine, got a Mech-Tech in 9mm, put a dedicated G17 lower on it. It's an absolute gas to shoot, the only downside for me is the weight.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I switched from the SUB-2000 with S&W (not S&M) mags to a Marlin Camp-9. The Marlin uses the same mags and with an after market folding stock it's almost as portable. I like the way it fires much better.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had the gen 1 in 17. being left handed I was constantly getting hit in the face with gas and shells. thats what I get for being wrong handed. Ive got the gen 2 in 40 now, and I still have the same issue, but I just could not stay away. fun gun, but like Mugsy said its not made for hard or long term use. I thought It was an awsome bug out gun... It works as long as it is clean, but get dirt, mud, or debris in it as a bug out weapon ultimately will and your screwed.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have played with one, never shot one. They are primitive. Great they fold, is about the only thing that I found helpful, and for what they bring now, I would personally pass quickly. They are not worth what they cost these days, however, like all guns, your mileage may vary. If ya got a need or want, hell then buy one. If you find a deal, then really buy one.

358norma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Sub-200 is lot's of fun to play with! I've got one for G-17 mags. The only draw back I could see with the .40; I haven't seen a drum in 40. 50 round drums for the 9mm can be found. They are not a precision tool, more of a ATV (Accuracy Through Volume) weapon. Good enough for up close work. Neat compact design. Good back up piece, secondary weapon, truck rig, or maybe for a BOB. Not something I want to trust as a primary "go to" gun. But lot's of FUN to shoot, even for young ones. I also have a Beretta CX-4 Storm in .40. I think the Storm is going to be on the chopping block soon.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Sub-200 is lot's of fun to play with! I've got one for G-17 mags. The only draw back I could see with the .40; I haven't seen a drum in 40. 50 round drums for the 9mm can be found. They are not a precision tool, more of a ATV (Accuracy Through Volume) weapon. Good enough for up close work. Neat compact design. Good back up piece, secondary weapon, truck rig, or maybe for a BOB. Not something I want to trust as a primary "go to" gun. But lot's of FUN to shoot, even for young ones. I also have a Beretta CX-4 Storm in .40. I think the Storm is going to be on the chopping block soon.

That's kinda what my thought process was on the deal.

Thanks to all for the reviews!

Latest posts

Top Bottom