Stevens Model 555- Is Love too strong a word?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badger308

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I was minding my own business yesterday afternoon as I snuck out of work early so I could go hit a couple of pawnshops. This was necessary
because last weekend while I was minding my own business standing at the gun counter talking about Concealed Carry the guy pulls out a Smith &
Wesson model 642 Airweight and makes me fondle it. I have to admit I had disdan right up until my hand wrapped around the tiny little grips that
fit perfectly in my hand and it was light as a feather. At which point I instantly knew that I needed one of these like I was going to need my next meal.

Hence, I found my self standing at another gun counter where they did not have the little revolver that I so desperately need, when the lady asks me if I needed some help.

Now, I can clearly see they do not have what I am looking for and should just leave and say "no thanks I'm just browsing" but What I heard instead coming out of my mouth was "Who makes that over and under right over there?" She looks and says "that's a Stevens and it's $499, would you like to see it?" I said "No thanks, I'm not looking for a shotgun"

Unfortunately the story doesn't end there. What was going on in my brain was: my synapses were firing in a frenzy because it was a really a nice looking piece of wood that you would not normally find on a Stevens or a $500 shotgun of any kind but certainly not a double barrel variety at that price point. You can imagine that my resolved lasted about 3 seconds and I hear myself saying "What the heck, I'm already here I might as well take a look at it because it sure has a nice piece of wood." And then she hands it to me.

I braced myself and flexed my abdomen as I would if I were being handed the boat anchor to toss overboard. Much to my surprise and dare I say, to my delight I was holding not a 9 or 10 pound clunky trot line weight but a very light over and under shotgun with a very nice stock chambered in 3 inch with screw in chokes for $500. Now my synapses are really firing, I was pretty sure before this moment I haven't looked at shotguns in years and didn't really think that I needed another one (I Don't). But of course who doesn't really want to own a nice O/U just to have! I have just never wanted to pay for one because I don't think it would ever be my go to Hunting gun.

Much to my chagrin I started doing some research on them and found that they are double firing the barrels. It is a single trigger and I have now found multiple online accounts of Double barrel simultaneous discharge. So I guess my question is does anybody have any personal experience with these, has anybody shot one or heard anything about them?

Latest posts

Top Bottom