Situation in a school. Needs some honest feedback

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is also the downside of politically correct attempts to make all children the same in everyone's eyes. Schools are being required more and more to provide "push in" or "mainstreaming" of any special education student who is not considered severe or profound disabilities. The problem with it is, many have very poor or completely lack and social skills, social reciprocating, or frustration tolerance most kids possess. And many special needs students that are to be mainstreamed are considered too high cognitively and considered non ID or intellectual disabled but are still too low to function in the general classroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can only comment from my own experience and knowledge of this matter. I'm a 3rd and 4th grade Special Education teacher in Moore and I am at the end of my Master's degree in Special Education. Any time you suspend or expel any student for longer than 10 days that has been diagnosed and categorized with a disability that requires an IEP or individualized education program the school and teacher must be able to provide a manifestation determination. This essentially means that the school must provide proof that the action that caused the suspension or expulsion was a NOT a product of their disability. This is required by law to be done and if the school is wrong it can end very badly for the school and reporting teacher. I'm not saying it's right, and don't generally agree with it. However I understand why so many schools are reluctant to take much action towards special education students, especially the more severe the disability the student has. Again, just my knowledge of it and I don't agree because it causes many issues and the students often learn from parents to play into the disability they have.

Have you had experience with violent students? Just curious how it's handled there. My son has Ausberger's and was a challenge when he was in school but never violent, as that really isn't an aspect of his disorder.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does this kid make the hair on the back of her neck stand up? If he does, she needs to get insistent on a threat evaluation. Never dismiss what those hairs are telling you.

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, unfortunately I have. Too many times honestly. As you can imagine there are very few men that are special education teachers and even fewer that are elementary teachers. I'm also CPI certified which is training used to safely restrain a student being violent. There are specific steps that must be followed with any violent situation when it happens. We are required to first try to calm and talk then down. If that doesn't work, we are to call for back up and maintain a calm environment, remove all students and stimulation triggers, then remove anything that the child could use to hurt themselves. We must try to secure and block any means of escape other than the immediate surrounding. In all honesty even the therapeutic holds we can apply are required as a last resort. And then only to the extent that it keeps the child safe but doesn't hurt them. It's very stressful but it's part of the package when you sign up for the job. You just have to balance the good with the bad to make it worthwhile. I love what I do and the small daily successes make the occasional firestorm worth it.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not understand how schools are empowered to interfere with law enforcement in this fashion. If assaults are occurring it would seem that they should be reported directly to the police. This sort of school "sovereignty" is irksome.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, unfortunately I have. Too many times honestly. As you can imagine there are very few men that are special education teachers and even fewer that are elementary teachers. I'm also CPI certified which is training used to safely restrain a student being violent. There are specific steps that must be followed with any violent situation when it happens. We are required to first try to calm and talk then down. If that doesn't work, we are to call for back up and maintain a calm environment, remove all students and stimulation triggers, then remove anything that the child could use to hurt themselves. We must try to secure and block any means of escape other than the immediate surrounding. In all honesty even the therapeutic holds we can apply are required as a last resort. And then only to the extent that it keeps the child safe but doesn't hurt them. It's very stressful but it's part of the package when you sign up for the job. You just have to balance the good with the bad to make it worthwhile. I love what I do and the small daily successes make the occasional firestorm worth it.

Very few could do your job. Kudu's to you. :bowdown:

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you Dennis. It's a reward in itself, but you must look way beyond the surface. Some kids do need the help and they grow up to become something in this life just because even ONE person believed they could. That is the legacy I work for.

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not understand how schools are empowered to interfere with law enforcement in this fashion. If assaults are occurring it would seem that they should be reported directly to the police. This sort of school "sovereignty" is irksome.

Unfortunately when it comes to special education students it's not that easy Dale. We have had over a dozen police calls for assualt in some fashion and some very serious in the last 5 years I've been there. The police always tell us the same thing. "We can call the parent and send them home, and file a report but they can't do anything to them legally because of age and disability". They have told us the only way one that can legally have a child admitted is by a judge, parent or doctor legal directive. And unless it's by the parent it will only be a 48 to 72 hour psychiatric hold for observation. Sadly, federal government and laws have just caused so many restrictions on the effort that was the intention to level the playing field and never allow discrimination to special education students.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
My point in calling police was to call attention to the fact that it seemed the school wasn't taking appropriate steps such as you are discussing...

Damn pussification of America.

Latest posts

Top Bottom