Wild Porker

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've probably killed the most hogs with a 30-30 with 270 win being a close second, but I've also killed them with a 22 lr and 17 hmr. Shot placement is key.
Congrats on the pig, and please kill them all before they get north of Hwy 11.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree the 6.8 might be better in terms of kinetic energy, but at shorter range, the accuracy improvement is negated, but with my .300, it's SBR'd. Give up some in kinetics, but it's still plenty of energy to take a hog with decently-placed shot, while being lighter and easier to wield, I think. Hopefully one of these days I'll have some opportunities to try both and compare. :D

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've probably killed the most hogs with a 30-30 with 270 win being a close second, but I've also killed them with a 22 lr and 17 hmr. Shot placement is key.

Too late, just not frequent. Not enough cover to sustain them IMO except for in isolated places........yours being one of them though lol.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Too late, just not frequent. Not enough cover to sustain them IMO except for in isolated places........yours being one of them though lol.

Yes, I definitely have the cover to hold hogs, but the refuge is/will be where they most likely take up residence. The river is a perfect corridor for them to travel too. If they ever really move in that area, it's going to be really bad.

Kind of OT, but does anyone still actively hunt coyotes with dogs? When I was a kid and we bird hunted around Jet, there were guys that were serious coyote hunters.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, I definitely have the cover to hold hogs, but the refuge is/will be where they most likely take up residence. The river is a perfect corridor for them to travel too. If they ever really move in that area, it's going to be really bad.

Kind of OT, but does anyone still actively hunt coyotes with dogs? When I was a kid and we bird hunted around Jet, there were guys that were serious coyote hunters.

Yes they run em with greyhounds and sometimes have a wolf hound with the greyhounds.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sure screws up your deer hunting when a pack of greyhounds comes through your set up.
Most in this area wait until deer season is over, but there is always one jackhole.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh I agree it is all about shot placement. In perfectly placed shots a .22LR will kill a hog dead right there. Now what to do about the other 4 hogs that are running off, that perfect shot is a lot more difficult now and the .22LR is significantly unpowered for a stopping shot that is anything less than perfect. If you want to eliminate the pests, why limit your firepower to needing that perfect shot for success?

You say kill em all before the get North of highway 11... Wish you could have did that before they crossed the Red.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The where...north of I 40 and west of 281. A friend I was sitting on a hill watching the open area between the wooded river bottom and the unharvested milo field. We saw this one headed toward the milo with about 12 little ones in tow. As we hurried on foot to cut down the distance we could hear more hogs down in the bottomland timber. My friend wanted me to shoot the sow and then stop, because he thought the others would come out still. I dropped her with my 6.8 at about 110 yards and could have shot at least a few roasters. The other pigs never came back out.
Blaine Co.?

Latest posts

Top Bottom