Wedding Beggars

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone sick of this ********? I mean, fine, expect and receive gifts - whatever. Tradition and all that. But things are getting out of hand, Stan. I'm tellin' ya.

You guys know what honeyfund is? If not count yourselves lucky. It's like a GoFundMe for honeymoons. No ********. You itemize out all the expenses of whatever pretentious shitdick eurotrip your plebeian twenty-something asses cain't afford and make sure everyone who has ever been in the same room with you for 5 minutes gets a link to it. Down to the details, man. Not kidding. On top of the Amazon wishlist and list of brick & mortar stores you're registered at. There's some 'our story' website thing too where you try to make yourselves sound extra cute so you get more money.

Gotdamnit, kids. Gotdamnit. My neighbors when I was a teenager were Mexican. Dad owned a business, couple older kids. One of the kids got married and everyone was asked to bring a case of beer and nothing else. No joke. Bride did the money dance, mariachi band played, food was brought and served by family, big party all night. We need to take some lessons from the Mexicans, man. On weddings and cooking at the very least.

You pick up on what I'm layin' down, Jack?

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm there with ya man, what I pretty much got from either wedding amounted to Jack with a little Schidt thrown in. First wedding was a set of dishes and enough cash to stay in a cheap motel for a night. Second wedding our first meal as husband and wife was paid for and a promise that we would have a trip to where my wife grew up to meet and visit her family. That trip will probably be around a 2k value and it's already been seven years, her Aunt the travel agent is the one giving us that.

It's always fun to go around and register but if you expect to get that trip around Europe along with the 4k 80 inch tv and a new car you had better prepare for the blow that real life brings. Cause it's going to hit you like a freight train.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I married my wife back in 2001 I had a wedding shower that my church threw us and that was it. I didn't expect anything. We got some nice stuff like a microwave that is still running amazingly well and some dishes and other household smalls. Seems like everything these days has to be a fiasco.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Me and the wife finally went on a honeymoon. 4 years later. To San Antonio. Paid for by us. Some people just expect others to keep picking up the tab.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife and I payed for all our wedding and honeymoon 'cept rehearsal dinner. Whatcha gun do. People keep asking for more and they keep getting it! You say "They shouln't have asked in the first place, the jack-wagons!" Mostly I agree, but there are a whole group of people who validate their actions by others reaction to it. So as long as they get away with it, they keep on!

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i don't get the hate. if someone wants to give you $ towards your honeymoon, instead of a set of towels, what does it matter?

Are you uninvited to the wedding if you don't donate to both?

I been to weddings that had registries for all kinds of things, and some that asked for no gifts.

Some people want to give gifts. If you don't give them an idea of what to give then you'll get really crazy stuff.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone sick of this ********? I mean, fine, expect and receive gifts - whatever. Tradition and all that. But things are getting out of hand, Stan. I'm tellin' ya.

You guys know what honeyfund is? If not count yourselves lucky. It's like a GoFundMe for honeymoons. No ********. You itemize out all the expenses of whatever pretentious shitdick eurotrip your plebeian twenty-something asses cain't afford and make sure everyone who has ever been in the same room with you for 5 minutes gets a link to it. Down to the details, man. Not kidding. On top of the Amazon wishlist and list of brick & mortar stores you're registered at. There's some 'our story' website thing too where you try to make yourselves sound extra cute so you get more money.

Gotdamnit, kids. Gotdamnit. My neighbors when I was a teenager were Mexican. Dad owned a business, couple older kids. One of the kids got married and everyone was asked to bring a case of beer and nothing else. No joke. Bride did the money dance, mariachi band played, food was brought and served by family, big party all night. We need to take some lessons from the Mexicans, man. On weddings and cooking at the very least.

You pick up on what I'm layin' down, Jack?

Jesus, you cranky old man. If people sign up for it how is it the Bride and Groom's issue?

We had one in our wedding in 08 because multiple people asked for it, we didn't even know it was a thing. Some family members wanted to gift an "experience" rather than buy a toaster or plates. We were able to swim with dolphins and zip line from our gifts.

What would really get you fired up would be in you knew they cash them out all all donations. So if you pick for them to snorkel or take a sunset cruise it really is just cash.

Take another drink

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Of all the people on OSA..... Ridge is starting to get bitchy? It's contagious?

We did a honeyfund year before last, it's just a cash fund, and it worked out great. We paid for every cent of our wedding ourselves and we had been together for darn near ten years so we didn't need mixing bowls and towels we'd have to take back. Hell I can't tell you how many weddings I've gone to that I'd rather just have given em cash, but that's just me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom