Anyone here in the tire business?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Coopers don't have a good rep amongst tire guys, they call them cuppers because of the cupping that they tend to.
Hopefully Pepboys have a good warranty on them.

I found out the hard way about Cooper tires. Scream like a banshee after a couple thousand miles. It helped when I rotated them like old bias ply tires vs the way they are supposed to be. Got a little quieter.(heavy lug mud tires)

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wasn't really talking about road hazard.
How does an online store warranty a tire? Maybe something like a tire seperation for instance?
Why would a local shop warranty/back a tire you bought from someone else or online?
I've only had to deal with road hazards (secure your #%^*ing loads when you're going to the damn dump--I'm tired of picking up screws and roofing nails in my tires), but the way it worked with the Tire Rack was the local tire shop told them that the tire was not repairable (too close to the sidewall), I bought the replacement tire, then the Tire Rack refunded me the price of the original tire. I don't think they even wanted the old tire back, there was just a form that had to be filled out and signed--but this was several years ago. I just remember that it wasn't all that much of a hassle.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't run into a bad tire problem yet, but I saved enough to buy 4 more tires at the same prices. So it's moot to me. Like I said before, I like supporting local when it's logical, but paying DOUBLE isn't logical to me.

Not to mention that our "best" local tire shop (Tate Boys Tire) has tried to encourage me to do "repairs" that were unnecessary - like trying to tell me I needed to spend $400+ to replace a pitman arm in my Tahoe. That was over 4 years and 100k miles ago. I told my honest mechanic about it a few months ago and he just laughed and said it seems fine to him. I still go to the tire shop for tire stuff - and nothing else. I got to the Ford place for the $10 oil chance. And nothing else. For all other repairs, I go to my honest mechanic.

Dalejbrass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I try to buy local whenever I get the chance.........not sure about Hercules, but you get lifetime rotate and balance with a lot of shops these days and that's worth something to me.

As others have already stated....service is more important than just the "price" to me.

Good luck

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I run 255/85-16 BFG KM2s on my Tacoma and have yet to find a place online that's signifcantly cheaper than buying them local.

I guess it's only certain tires when I hear guys talking about saving 50% or more. I think mine were maybe $10 cheaper a pop online last time I bought. Not worth buying online for that. I'll be due for 4 new ones by fall. Damnit.

Discount tire direct was about the same, tire rack looked good till I added in $140 to ship and then mounting & balancing.

If anyone has a BFG hookup lemme know.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Road hazard applies when you get 'em mounted locally and pay for it.

As for me, I got quotes of around $1800 to $2200 for Bridgestone OEMs. I got 4 Pirelli P-Zero takeoffs for $800 shipped to my door. It was a no-brainer.

My tires are staggered, too, so I don't get any of those special "Buy 3, Get 1" deals.

Good god brother! What kind of rig do you drive that requires $2000 rubber from the the local jobber?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stock were:

Tire Size:
245/40/19 (front)
275/35/19 (rear)

Now:

255/35/19 (front)
305/30/19 (rear)

OEMs were Bridgestone RE050A - $1375 plus shipping at TireRack.com
Bridgestone RE-11s are a decent compromise - $1185 plus shipping
Pirelli P-Zeros are arguably a better tire than either, $1052 plus shipping.

I think the RE-11s were the ones quoted at $2000 locally. Ridiculous. I mean, that's just stupid. lol

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stock were:

Tire Size:
245/40/19 (front)
275/35/19 (rear)

Now:

255/35/19 (front)
305/30/19 (rear)

OEMs were Bridgestone RE050A - $1375 plus shipping at TireRack.com
Bridgestone RE-11s are a decent compromise - $1185 plus shipping
Pirelli P-Zeros are arguably a better tire than either, $1052 plus shipping.

I think the RE-11s were the ones quoted at $2000 locally. Ridiculous. I mean, that's just stupid. lol
I run the same sizes but on 20s on my G35 and my Supra, also staggered. Ran Hankooks on my last n.a. Supra then went to Nittos when I bought this turbo, the Infinity got some too just cause I loved em so much. Niche brand wheels on both. Running Yokohama all season 275/40/20s right now on my GMC dd SUV for winter, have em in the same sizes on Nitto summer tires sitting in my garage. The last guy staggered them on 45s but I changed to 275/40s all around. Love them.

Ain't none of em been very cheap.

(Tapatalk)- on the road.

Latest posts

Top Bottom