tuning a quadrajet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
QJs are definitely hard to tune. I am by no means a tuner. I know just enough to make it harder for my tuner to get it back to normal! I have rebuilt many QJs, and they always seem to run well. I don't use QJs on performance stuff though.

Holley carbs are easier to tune, but they have their issues too. Edelbrocks are essentially aftermarket versions of the QJ- bolt it on and go, very little tuning.

Eldebrocks are the Carter AFB clone. I'd warn against the aftermarket or reman quadrajet. Had one that was junk. Got a decent original core and rebuilt it.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm on year 2 of my reman qjet. It handles the up and down of the crawling just like the guys running EFI and TBI do. Couldn't be happier with it.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm on year 2 of my reman qjet. It handles the up and down of the crawling just like the guys running EFI and TBI do. Couldn't be happier with it.

That's good to know, maybe mine was built on payday Friday. I love a quadrajet. You either love them or hate them and sometimes both in my case.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
That's good to know, maybe mine was built on payday Friday. I love a quadrajet. You either love them or hate them and sometimes both in my case.

Maybe so, I'm usually the guy that happens to lol. I know several guys running them on 302, 351, 347 stroker, etc. So far so good, all purchased from JEGS.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't forget to cut the Ford kick down linkage off of the Ford carb and weld it to the Qjet. Yea I ran them on my Ford also.
I built a mild steel Intake manifold for a 260Z Datsun to run a 4 Barrel carb.. Used an old 60's original Carter AFB That Z car got better MPG than any of the 5 of them I had including the Fuel Injected ones.
Some of those got a carb also.. That homemade intake got 27 MPG... I did Modify the plenum Floor in it. I welded long beads in the floor below the carb pad that ran in the dirrection of the runners,, This to keep fuel atomized as it hit the floor.

Look into the old edelbrock performer intake.. No beads or waffeled floor.. just a flat floor.
Look into the newer performer EPS or the RPM intake ..Or look into the Qjet intake.. Waffled floor ..Ridges whatever you wish to call them.

So many little things like that are overlooked .

You must keep those fuel droplets atomized.. Only the air around the droplet burns.
Break them up smaller and make more power get better MPG.

You will be surprised how well a carb will atomize fuel through a well thought out intake tract.
That is One reason have not jumped on the FI band wagon. That and I am a tight wad :)

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
speaking of 71buickfreak.
Clydes carburetors in OKC went out of business around 1989 and they had an auction.
I purchased the entire Buick section,
I only wanted the 4 barrels .. I should have kept the 2 barrels also .. but i had 3 35 gallon trash cans full of them and 2 barrels were everywhere.
Man you ever try to find a gm 2 barrel carb at a salvage yard lately.

I went to 4 yards and got 1 and that was 5 years ago.
I ended up with 53 carter AFB carbs from the Buick section and some Rochester 4 jet carbs and someone stuck a 1967 440 Mopar AFB in the mix.

I loaned it to a friend,, never to be seen again.. That is OK he gave me his busted 61 caddy many years later. It all worked out.

What carb do you have on that 71 Buick???

Latest posts

Top Bottom