tuning a quadrajet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SdoubleA

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The QJ was/is a decent carb if you control the vacumn and keep the fuel a coming. I used electric fuel pumps to help with a consistant fuel delivery for the secondaries. Strombergs were always used if I wanted a three duece set up. QJ ran well on 409 and 427. The air temp was always a killer for me with the QJ if it was too hot. It seemed rainy days were the best with the cooler air.

My first Holley was the new 500cfm two barrel when it hit the market, and it replaced a Carter with a notable difference. The Holley was easier to maintain.

I ran a Holley on 426 Hemi, 428, 429, 327/375, and 283 all with good luck.

I have used the Eddy on 350 with good results with the proper manifold.

I never could find a Rochester to have good luck with.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The deal is with the 800 or 750 rating on the Qjets is you do not actually get all that On all the carbs.
The secondary air valve as you know has a stop arm to limit how much it opens.
The turbo V6 Buick that ran a rochester Qjet had the 800cfm carb (But they limited the secondary air valve opening drastically).

The cfm rating was in the mid to upper 400cfm range as my brain remembers.

Some Holley carbs would not flow the CFM they were rated at either. So many 3310's ,, I had a -3 or -4 and it would not reach 700 cfm.
After tweaking it flowed over 870.
I always wondered why the my 750 afb and Qjets would out pull my 3310;s No matter the jetting.

Once tweaked the Holley was right there ..Now this is extreme topend of the rpm range,,Not much difference below 5000 rpm.
You get something that twists to 8000 rpm you start noticing little things.
I ran my 455 olds engines to 6700rpm. Those liked a lot of air also..Ran Buick 350's and 455's and those as you stated love a lot of carb.

I eventually started running tunnel-rams.. the tall ones.. pick 2 600 or 750 AFB's and go.
I want to do a tunnelram with 2 Qjets just to make people look twice..

Latest posts

Top Bottom