Looking at new trucks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And btw, for a dealer to take 2 weeks for a simple differential repair is ludicrous. I say 2 weeks, but since it's still there it may be even longer.

I've had the same issue with dealers. When in warranty, they cant take a part off the shelf I was told. The part has to be ordered through the warranty system.

That is what I was told, don't shoot the messenger.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haul a 5500lb tractor on a tandem trailer with my Tacoma. I put air bags on it, but load it right and it doesn't need them. Trailer brakes are a MUST! when using a Tacoma to pull that weight. I'd say trailer brakes are a must with any truck.

I may look into that for the Tundra. It has the older 4.7L V8, it can pull but will never spin a tire to save its own life. I just hate how its GVWR is only 6200LBS Makes the prospect of owning a camper almost unobtainable.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I may look into that for the Tundra. It has the older 4.7L V8, it can pull but will never spin a tire to save its own life. I just hate how its GVWR is only 6200LBS Makes the prospect of owning a camper almost unobtainable.

Get a torsion hitch, and it doesn't matter. If you have a front wheel drive, you can jack your rear tires off the ground and go on. Get trailer brakes.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get a torsion hitch, and it doesn't matter. If you have a front wheel drive, you can jack your rear tires off the ground and go on. Get trailer brakes.

I will def be getting brakes on the next trailer I buy. Like I said the old Yoda just gets pushed around now when I load up my 20ft utility trailer with firewood.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
A couple of things, first, my last 4 trucks have been Dodge/Ram pickups. I have not had your sort of issues. My last truck did have an issue with the fuel pump relay, which pissed me off because Ram knows it is an issue, but will not recall it. However, I did the jumper wire trick, versus repairing the entire circuit board. Other than that I had a window motor go out on one of the pickups. I put over 100K on each pickup.
On the flip side I had a 2002 Tahoe that had to have the top end of the motor replaced and the fuel pump a couple of times. That POS spent a lot of time in the shop.

My Dodge Ram MegaCab (64,000 miles) is currently sitting at the dealer for the 3rd time for the same ****...wheel bearings and differential. It's been there for 2 weeks now. It came with a limited lifetime drivetrain warranty. These are things it specifically says are covered. Yesterday the dealer told me it was no longer covered because it requires a 5 year lifetime warranty inspection that I did not have done. I informed him I did bring it in at the 4 1/2 year point and had them do a complete inspection where I specifically asked them to inspect the differentials. He said he does see where I did that but because I did not ask for the "5 year lifetime warranty inspection" and because it wasn't within 5 months of the 5 year point, I'm out, that'll be $2000 please. I called Chrysler and they said the same thing. Absolute ********! I will never own another POS Chrysler product EVER!!!

And btw, for a dealer to take 2 weeks for a simple differential repair is ludicrous. I say 2 weeks, but since it's still there it may be even longer.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are a lot of Dodge owners in my area. I just figured it was because they were the cheapest.

I havent been in a Dodge since the late 90s, maybe they have changed by now. They sure didnt compare to a real truck back then. Everything about it was cheap, but that was me test driving after I got out of a GMC. Big, big difference in quality back then. Havent considered getting in another since.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe I'm the odd-man-out, but I can't even imagine paying $50k, $60k, $70k or more for a damn truck. I dunno.

I might pay it for a tuned performance car... I've considered 6 figures for a GT-R, but that's about all I would reasonably do.

Weirdo. I know.

Latest posts

Top Bottom