Looking at new trucks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2-3 mpg difference is what fueleconomy.gov show's, and its about the same as I get in my SUV. I dont do a lot of driving, so not too worried. I'd prefer long term reliability over a slight increase in MPG. All that technology to get mileage up there still isnt proven, and is whats causing the motor probs in the GMC/Sierra's from what I understand.
The AFM on the new GM motors is a joke. The end up getting worse than rated mileage and you'll likely have to replace your lifters before 100k.

I'd go Ford or Toyota. Ford will outrun and get better mileage than the Toyota. Toyota's are solid trucks though that will last and have good resale.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I assume you are looking at 1/2 tons since you have Toyota in the mix. All the truck are good. All the trucks also have their issues with recalls and mechanical problems.

Why not the Ram. Whether you had a sour past experience with them or not I would give them a closer look. Here is my experiences and what I have come across in various places about some of the makes as food for thought but I am no expert. Tundras are good trucks. Lots of power but if you are going to tow much and when you do and it's a heavy load you can expect terrible fuel economy. From all I have gathered, much worse than the others in the same category. More than enough engine though. F150s are also nice but I would be Leary of the turbos after you put some miles on them. Try to get a price for a new/rebuilt Ecoboost turbo and you will find it to be quite expensive. As you know, lots of power and good aftermarket support to gain HP, etc. while it has the power to tow its till a half ton and running at higher rpm with heavy loads can put more wear on the V6 over the long run. My biggest complaint with the f-150s is that, especially with the higher level trims, you are paying significantly more money for the comparable Ram, Chevy, Toyota. 2016 F150 4x4 Ecoboost Platinum with all the bells and whistles is pushing $60-$65K and they are no nicer than the other manufactures top end models. Chevys? Meh, don't do much for me but I'm sure they are nice too. Ram 1500 are nice too. Hard to beat the Hemi with power and performance including fuel mpg. Many are getting 18-22mph if they aren't stomping on the pedal too much. More than enough power to tow anything. The downfall, if you call it that is the rear suspension is set up for a very good ride. You won't find a better riding/driving truck but if you are towing near its capacity you get a lot of ass sag. However, if you want the 1500 because of its ride but tow heavy it is recommended to get the factory airbags which keeps things level. If you objectively look at all 1/2 tons tow rating, Ram publishes a tow capacity for each of their trim levels where others don't. Two reasons I went with Ram when I bought my teuck last year. 1) the only make with a Mega Cab (2500 model) and 2) they offer a Max Care Full Coverage Lifetime Warranty on everything, not just power train. This is a huge benefit when today's vehicles have so many computers in them. Cost for lifetime warranty was <$2500.

Don't think you can go wrong with whatever you choose but just be aware that all trucks have their issues and you need to figure out what is most important to you.

Here's my ride. 2015 Ram Mega Cab 4x4 Laramie 6.4 Hemi. OTD was $49,850.

image.jpg

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm currently looking at new-ish trucks, as well. I'm not buying brand new as I don't like the idea of paying just to walk off the lot and since I'm not in a rush to buy, I have my truck posted across facebook looking to trade up with cash added as the oil and gas industry tanks and people need to downgrade.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im just gonna assume your uncle is a fisherman when he says that many miles on a farm.

Now be an american and buy a ford.

No, an actual farm. Vaughan Foods, Mark Vaughan, it was his son's truck. Put it out to pasture around 140k, and they put it out to pasture at one of the farms that they grow their produce at. I imagine its just for running around, rather than hauling or towing anything heavy, but still, it was running around on farm roads. He just brought it back, no idea why, but he still has it.

As far as american, the Toyota is more american made than anything other than Ford, they are tied for first there. Looks like the same Ford, will be a few thousand more, no fancy trim packages, I want a bench seat up front. And I have a friend that is a GM for a 'yota dealership, so I'll be getting a deal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom