Looking at new trucks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kinda funny to see people dismiss Ram right off the top. They have been the only brand to hold up to hard use for me.

The last Ford on this farm required 2 engines and 3 trannys before 100k (99 F-350 V-10). Then I had an 04 F-150 Lariat for personal use. Had to replace the rear end at 70k and the driveshaft at 90k despite rarely towing a damn thing. Plus a window regulator, leaking third brake light, spark plugs requiring professional changing and the engine knocking like a diesel (un fixable cam phaser tick). On top of it all, the 300 hp 5.4L was a dog while getting **** mileage.

Contrast that to my wife's current 2012 Ram 1500 with which we've had some headlight trouble, an exhaust manifold leak (covered under factory power train warranty), and just had a pulley go out with 72k miles on it. Then you factor in that 390 hp really scoots and gets about the same mileage as the 5.4L and it's not hard to see why I favor Ram over Ford.

But the Ford guys swear by them. Me thinks they just haven't tried anything else and assume they have the best truck on the road. In reality they all have their quirks and it's probably splitting hairs between any of them.

I wouldn't be afraid to try a Toyota but that truck is about 10 years in since a major redesign so it's a bit dated. The wife wants a Chevy to replace the Ram just because she likes how they look.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am also looking for a 1/2 ton that is "newer" than my 2 early 2000 diesels. I have a buddy who is a diesel tech at ford and he said they dont see any of the v-6 ecoboost trucks in the shop much at all so thats the one I am focused on. But I am not knocking other brands other than Chevy, those are just fugly. 2010 was the last year of the 5.4 liter ford v-8 and I will not be getting one of those. Looking at 11-12 for the ecoboost or even the 5.0 is a good engine. I'm trying to stay below $25k and its hard to do that without buying a truck with 80k-120k miles on it. My tech buddy said he would not be afraid of an ecoboost with 100k miles on it.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love my Japanese vehicles assembled in America.

I have owned a 2008, 2011, 2014 and now a 2016 Tundra. My wife has had a 2008, 2011, 2013 and now a 2016 Sequoia. No problems and resell value has been great. When the ecoboost came out I "had" to have one since the Tundras suck at gas mileage. Bought a new 2012 F150 FX4 that was loaded. Last year my wife bought the 2015 Explorer Sport with Ecoboost. Both Fords took a serious hit when we went to sell or trade in. Normally we take a 20% max hit on the Toyotas after 12-24 months. Those two Fords crushed me at 32 and 35%. If you keep your vehicles for eternity I guess it doesnt matter but why does "Americas #1 truck" not hold its value?

Good luck bigfug. You will probably enjoy whatever you get.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Love the crap out of my 2015 Tundra 4x4 1794.
The Ram was a fairly close second, but I am very glad we went w Toyota. the room, the power, the comfort, I cant believe I drove my wifes old civic for all those years.
gas mileage is 15 in the city, and 16.5 highway. I can totally live with that.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't imagine:

A.) Paying $50k or better for a half-ton pickup that doesn't come with 2 free hookers. And I mean good hookers with coke habits, not bad hooker with meth habits.

B.) Having a vehicle I bought new in 2016 having a single mechanical problem of note before 150k miles. This isn't the 80s. A vehicle should be able to make it that long with no major problems.

I have 220k on my 2007 Tacoma. 0 breakdowns. Brake pads and oil changes. Oh...I tore a CV boot bashing through the woods once. I thought it was steep at $26k OTD. I think they've queered the new Taco up too much so I'm keeping mine forever. Any newer vehicles I buy will be 2 or 4 door cars. Possibly a 3/4 ton or better truck if I should ever need one for some reason.

Future trucks on my radar are a 70s F-250 Highboy or an FJ60. An FJ60 how I'd want it is way more $$$ than a Highboy the way I want it so I'd probs go that route. Or a 69-72 K20. $25k would do really well on either of those.

They are greatly succeeding at pussifing trucks. Gone are the days of rubber mats and stick shifts.

Last edited:

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kinda funny to see people dismiss Ram right off the top. They have been the only brand to hold up to hard use for me.

The last Ford on this farm required 2 engines and 3 trannys before 100k (99 F-350 V-10). Then I had an 04 F-150 Lariat for personal use. Had to replace the rear end at 70k and the driveshaft at 90k despite rarely towing a damn thing. Plus a window regulator, leaking third brake light, spark plugs requiring professional changing and the engine knocking like a diesel (un fixable cam phaser tick). On top of it all, the 300 hp 5.4L was a dog while getting **** mileage.

Contrast that to my wife's current 2012 Ram 1500 with which we've had some headlight trouble, an exhaust manifold leak (covered under factory power train warranty), and just had a pulley go out with 72k miles on it. Then you factor in that 390 hp really scoots and gets about the same mileage as the 5.4L and it's not hard to see why I favor Ram over Ford.

But the Ford guys swear by them. Me thinks they just haven't tried anything else and assume they have the best truck on the road. In reality they all have their quirks and it's probably splitting hairs between any of them.

I wouldn't be afraid to try a Toyota but that truck is about 10 years in since a major redesign so it's a bit dated. The wife wants a Chevy to replace the Ram just because she likes how they look.

Yeah, because in 2012 Ford's still had the same engines, power, and mileage that they did in 2004.
/sarc off

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't imagine:

A.) Paying $50k or better for a half-ton pickup that doesn't come with 2 free hookers. And I mean good hookers with coke habits, not bad hooker with meth habits.

Future trucks on my radar are a 70s F-250 Highboy or an FJ60. An FJ60 how I'd want it is way more $$$ than a Highboy the way I want it so I'd probs go that route. Or a 69-72 K20. $25k would do really well on either of those.

They are greatly succeeding at pussifing trucks. Gone are the days of rubber mats and stick shifts.

Looking at a k10 or 78-79 Bronco for me and the kiddo to play with, I had a 79 FSB on 36's and regret selling it. Also, since I am looking at a bench seat, most trim packages are out, putting the truck with v8, tow/haul, and 4x4 in mid-30k's. Could I spend more? Yes, I originally wanted a raptor, but would prefer new vs used, and really prefer the seating for 6, since I don't want an SUV, and my wife drives a german sport sedan. Going the SUV route will only let me seat 6-7 in most with absolutely no room for luggage behind that 3rd row. So seating for 6, and a ton of cargo space would work well for me. I can fit the kids Rzr, 4wheeler or dirtbike in the back of the truck without having to mess with a trailer.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, because in 2012 Ford's still had the same engines, power, and mileage that they did in 2004.
/sarc off

After all the trouble I had with the Ford and a traditional V-8 there was no way in hell I was going to trust a Ford with a more complex hopped up V-6. Plus the 12 Ford outside of the ecoboost is pretty close to the same truck it was back in 04. You Ford boys are always so touchy when someone doesn't drink the kool-aid.

Latest posts

Top Bottom