Jeep patriot any good. Or?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wife is looking for an SUV type thing.. something larger than her 95 corolla but I suppose smaller than my 57 chevy 4 door.
She is spoiled with the 35MPG though so 18 mpg does not cut it.

I am a bit scared of the CVT transmission in those Jeeps though..Maybe it is unwarranted.
Anyone have any experience with these or possibly some other vehicle that gets 25+ mpg and will last 250,000 miles and is taller than a corolla.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not unwarranted. Stay away from that POS. I had one as a press car last year. The CVT is awful and the ECM is designed to give you the "feel" of a shift, because people don't like the way a CVT feels. You are basically driving a car with a rubber band for a transmission. When they do go bad, it is ridiculously expensive to fix. STAY AWAY.

There are plenty of midsize SUVs that are much better. We have a 2013 Kia Sorrento 4 cylinder. gets 22-24 mpgs highway. The patriot is closer to a Kia Soul in size though. We have only had a couple of minor issues with the car, and that is mostly because we have kids and we put a lot of miles on our cars.

For the record, I drive a '13 suburban, wife drives the kia.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recently looked at the 2007 saturn Vue.. Honda engine they say.
I do not like V6 engines.. My fault i suppose..I like them fine in a rear wheel drive buick though.
Thanks for the information on the CVT.. I seen some pictures of the workings and looks like a torque averter for a go cart.
We put a lot of miles on vehicles also.
67,000 miles in 11 months one year.
Most of my cars are V8 carbed or 4 cylinders with FI or carbs and all have made 250,000 miles and some over 370,000 miles.That last one was carbed inline 6 ford.

I need reliability.
I almost feel i will need to build my own car to get what she wants.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Kia has been very reliable. 4 years with 20k+ per year. 10 year warranty. It is a good vehicle, we just outgrew it as the main family car, which is why we went to the suburban.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Chevy trail blazer maybe?

Not with the fuel economy OP is wanting. It's a full frame suv and uncomparable to the patriot or smaller unibody wagons.

Start by looking at a Rav 4, CR-V, or Escape. Smaller like she wants, good fuel economy, reasonably reliable. They are the gold standards in the compact SUV class for a reason.

The Korean brands are good these days also. But I think their SUV models are a hair larger actually. The Sante fe is more comparable to a Highlander in size
I think.

Latest posts

Top Bottom