Jeep patriot any good. Or?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stay away from Libertys, they are junk. The 3.7 is a junk engine, kd5rjz is just lucky with his. A Cherokee is not going to give you the mpg you want. CRV is the best low maintenance, reliable 200k mile small suv. Other than a CRV, as mentioned, Toyota and Subaru are good alternatives.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, my Escape has averaged 23.9 all conditions since the day I bought it. However, it is a 2016. Sorry.

If you're looking for an $8,000 (or less) car, you shouldn't spend so much time worrying about a few miles per gallon, rather you need to concentrate on cars that have a reliability reputation. You're right, a CVT is not for you.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With technology today i would really think they could get better than low 20's MPG .
Yes I worry about MPG only because I am spoiled to that.

Reliability is key..I think maybe a Matrix or Vibe will do.
Heck i did not even know what most of these newer cars are until i started looking for her.
I have owned many vehicles in my time Most were 1970's and older and those were very reliable.

Check this 1967 Chrysler Newport custom Last year for the high compression ,, the Newport got the 383 with 4V carter AFB I delivered pizza in it also and it rewarded me with 18 MPG In the city of Moore.

My uncle took a 67 440 from a new yorker and stuck it in a 1973 i think it was ford 4 door truck,, Bandag recap tires and the 727 transmission.
I do not know the rear end gear ratio .. I towed a trailer with it and it got 18 MPG.
Of course we can both tune an engine.

But today a vehicle with lighter weight Fuel injection and overdrive cant get more than those old engines kind of saddens me.
I did put the tune on a chevy long bed 5/8 ton (heavy half) remember those.
Anyway 350 got rebuilt back to stock because buddy wanted better MPG.. Did not work 12MPG was it before and after.

I tweaked the APT on the Qjet and removed the vacuum advance and stuck in a distributor curve kit ,, tweaked timing 22 initial 38 total all in by 2000 rpm.
The truck was granny 4 speed.
Buddy called 2 weeks later and told me the MPG 22.5 and he never left Moore and never went over 45 mph.
So city driving ..

Thanks for ALL the Information guys..I think the Vibe will fill the bill.. but she needs to drive one first.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited for the wife to drive. She loved the V8 and it got great gas mileage. We were always concerned about the Consumer Reports that said it was the worst vehicle to own for aftermarket repairs, so we bought the extended warranty. Great decision. The dash had to be removed three times to repair the servo's that control the H&A ports.

We read on the internet that the transmission would go out at about 90K. Ours made 110K.

Internet forums said the engine would go out around 120K.

At 115K we were on our way to OKC to trade it off and the engine started knocking at the Stillwater exit on I35.

Its like they preprogram those vehicles to fail.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is pretty sad on the fail part.. I suppose if i was to buy a new vehicle I would opt for extended warranty.

The old and I mean 70's Jeep stuff like the big inline 6 was bulletproof The AMC 258 inline 6 was dandy.
I always liked the inline 6 engines.. Today the games have changed

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My buddy has a 2005 Mazda Tribute (rebadged escape) and he is thoroughly pleased with it. I did help him find it and the few tributes I saw were priced less than escapes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom