Jeep patriot any good. Or?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Mitsubishi Outlander 9000 miles gets 25-27 MPG at 80 MPH . Has CVT trans, turn on to highway rev to 3 grand excelarates to 60 MPH Then rpm drops to 2500 speeds up to 70 MPH. I love it.

zseese

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to drive a patriot for work, drove all over Oklahoma and Colorado with no problems. Trans felt great and it was zippy as heck, base model. My grandma has one that has been back and forth between northern Iowa and Baton Rouge and Austin a ton of times with no problems. Both examples had really high miles. But I absolutely love my wife's 2011 4wd escape, it hauls ass and gets 25 mpg (fully loaded with v6) and can tow 3500 lbs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They have a 10 year 100k powertrain warranty.
I mean don't expect much other than a grocery getter that has decent mpg, but I have a family member that has had one since 2011 and had less problems with it than I've had with my 2014 Wrangler.
Hard to beat the warranty, but wouldn't pay for any special package on one, just get the base model!
Jeeps are notorious for the little things like leaks creaks and wobbles, but I don't hear about them leaving anyone stranded very often. And with the cush warranties nowadays, it's hard to argue they're a bad choice. David Stanley in MWC has a great service department. I've had to bring my wrangler in 3 different times and I've had zero issues with warranty work, they always treat me right and don't cut corners.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recently chose between an Ford Escape, Jeep Renegade and Toyota Rav4. Chose the Escape for the 2.0L Turbo. Very satisfied with it. Rav4 was my 2nd choice, and a very close one at that. My sister actually bought one since then and is very happy with it. I thought long and hard about the Renegade. It is a cut above the Patriot and some of the other Jeep attempts at a small suv. It's worth looking at. I think I decided against it because of the 9-speed (not CVT) transmission. When I drove it on the Interstate, it just seemed to spend a lot of time hunting for a sweet spot. Probably irrational on my part.

The Escape's Sync 3 infotainment system is top notch.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If and when we get another vehicle which I feel will be soon it will be a used one. Most used stuff i see has over 130,000 miles.

zseese when you say both examples had really high miles ,, what is your idea of really high miles.. 250,000-270,000 to me is really high miles.

150,000 miles is medium 70,000 miles is low miles to me.

I will take reliability over a few MPG any day.
Say a trans goes out.. $3500 bucks later.. How many miles could you have gone with that 3500.
About 38,500 miles at 2 bucks a gallon and 22 MPG. If you got 7 MPG better it is a difference of 12,250 miles.. so you would need to go over 112,000 miles to make up the difference for that 3500 dollar transmission because you wanted better MPG.

Couple things I can't stand are squeaks and rattles inside of a car.
I can't stand to be in that corolla.. My old iron that is 50+ years old does not squeak.. Could be all the welded panels instead of snap together panels.

Almost hate getting something at all.. but all this information you guys are posting is helping out on what to look at.

My 1982 mustang 200 Inline 6 carburated NO overdrive went 300,000 miles with the original starter , water pump, Fuel pump and Ac unit.
Never changed any parts until after that high mile mark.. well except the interior .. wore it out 3 times.
I even delivered Pizza in it. Pulled my Bayliner many thousands of miles. 27 MPG Highway 24 city..and this was with NON synthetic oil Havoline.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A new base package one shouldn't be much more than 8-10k if you don't mind a standard and you get to start with zero miles! It's hard to find anything used for less that's really worth it.
I am selling my 350z w/ 55k miles for 13k if you want something sporty!!! :D

IndVet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hyundai Tuscon has a 7-speed dual clutch transmission and gets 31mpg on the highway with AWD. Also has a 10 year 100,000 mile power-train warranty.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If she likes the Corolla but wants something bigger/taller, why not look at a Highlander? My family has owned at least three of them, and I've never heard them complain about them.

Basically a Camry with ground clearance.

And everyone knows a Camry will last two days past the Apocalypse.

zseese

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
zseese when you say both examples had really high miles ,, what is your idea of really high miles.. 250,000-270,000 to me is really high miles.

150,000 miles is medium 70,000 miles is low miles to me.

They were/are both over 100k, which to me is really high for a two year old vehicle.

I know what you mean though with the reliability, my truck now has 185,000 miles on it and still looks and runs great.

I am personally going to get another escape for the wife after the one we have now because hers has been a great, inexpensive vehicle and I recommend them.

really only chimed in about the patriot for a different (more detailed, as opposed to "don't get one cuz they suck") point of view...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom