Jeep patriot any good. Or?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Either the Subaru Forester or Outback would be great options. Both use CVTs, but have proven to be excellent examples of the CVT. It took me a bit to get used to the CVT (i.e., learn to let the transmission do what it's supposed to), but now I love them.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an '08 Jeep Patriot purchased new. Drove only pickups but fuel costs were killing me so decided to look for a small suv type car. The Escape is nice and the Honda CRV is the standard for this class of vehicle but cost more than I wanted to spend. The 08 came with a lifetime power train warranty with required 5 year inspection. The Patriot has been outstanding and perfect for me. I did not like the slapstick transmission and went with the standard.
230K+ miles, Everything works like new; routine brake work, one tune up, a little front end work, replaced 1 head light and the tag lights, recently replaced catalytic converter. Began using about 1 quart of oil every 2000 miles at about 180K. MPG ranges from 28-30 depending on conditions. Drives really well on snow and ice. Not a race or luxury car but drives dirt roads and interstates just fine. I would buy another one but I'm going to test the lifetime warranty.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love the Toyota 4x4 trucks and think there is nothing better but if I were in the market for that type of vehicle I would get a Subaru. They last, good reliability, resale and they're fun to drive.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My mom had a CR-V. super great around town car, sucked on long drives. Lots of road noise. Mileage wasn't great, 22-23mpg. My brother has a RAV-4. Seems to be a bit quieter on the highway, don't know about the mileage.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buddy got the lifetime power train warranty on a vehicle and did not read the fine print.
Power train covered engine.. Not transmission or rear end or differentials..That as stated in his warranty was drive train.
Word play.

He was hot when the trans went out..
Mother-in -law has an escape.
Fords have always treated me well but all were old NON computer ones.. 250,000-300,000 miles was easy to get out of them I always told people ford did not make enough power to blow themselves up so they lasted a long time.

I do not need power.. will not tow with this. Prefer a 4 cylinder. But I suppose I could gamble and try a V6. I just do not like working on a V6 that is in the vehicle sideways.. And sideways V8 is not better.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 2013 Subaru Outback gets 31.8 mpg (measured manually across many tanks, and averaging for wind effects) on the highway. The CVT always keeps the 4-banger in the perfect position to maximize power (and efficiency) for any given condition. It's simply the most practical vehicle I've ever owned.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Liberty (3.8l) and a Cherokee (4.0l), both with over 200K miles and both have never had to go into the shop. They are both used for towing and given a lot of abuse.

My four year old F150 (5.4l) which only sees highway miles has spent over a month in the shop over the last four years.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What transmission in the Liberty and the cherokee.
My budget is lower than 8K and most of the trans issues with the CVT i see pop up around 130,000 miles.
Hate to give 7K for a vehicle and 40,000 miles later sink in another 3500.

I can't give too much for a vehicle because i have a short temper. I gave 6K for the corolla years ago and that is 2X more than i ever had in a vehicle.

It had 6 dinks in the entire body.. tiny ones,, like paint chips etc.

I waxed it every week and kept it garaged.. each time i waxed it i found another dink or dent or scratch..I was furious and if i ever caught the Idiot thet popped his door into mine i would probably pound his head into his car.

I always parked it way away from other cars.
I just can't have nice expensive stuff.. too much anger.. :)
So it will need to be used cheap.
Escape is out.. checked the MPG on those..Very sad.

Latest posts

Top Bottom