What Do you Think

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My son shot a 10 point buck that we never found. When he shot him the buck ran about 20 yards then just walk 10 yards into cover. Track him about 300 yards with very little blood until blood trail was lost then look about 4 hours in the area. That was the first week of rifle season. I pulled camera card today and found this buck on there. I see what appears to be a bullet hole. But where it is located I would of thought it would of knock him down. What is ya'll thought does it look like a bullet wound and do you think it should of knocked him down. He was shooting 130 grain in a 270.

Coach_1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd say it looks like a pass through. Looks to be under the spine and missed any arteries. Kind of a soft tissue area. Also would think it was a close shot and the bullet zipped right through before it could expand. That's my guess anyways. Great to see he's still alive and hopefully you get another chance at him.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen a few deer on camera that have survived archery wounds but never a rifle wound. It's hard to say for sure, but I don't believe that is a rifle wound on that buck. It is a very nice buck though.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There seems to be some discoloration on the hair on the right side, but just don't seen the damage a bullet wound would cause. All I've shot have a quarter sized hole going in, and a half dollar sized hole going out. A wound like that wouldn't leave the hair intact like the deer in the pic. IMHO.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to say it's not the deer your son shot. If that is an exit wound, the shear energy of the bullet should've paralyzed him, at least temporarily, by passing so close to the spine and major nerves.

Latest posts

Top Bottom