Thunderbird Range & Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBIRD

Marksman
Reaction score
I've read some of the comments with different experiences etc. with some of the different ranges, gun clubs etc. Here at Thunderbird we are just a couple of old guys and gals that get together when we can and what we want depending who has shown up. The range facility is at my house so I control it. This is not a business and as yet their are really no 'organized' club, hoping to do that when and if I retire. I was a memeber of several ranges and just got tired of traveling more than I shot, and spending more on memberships etc. than guns and ammo. If I am home the range is open, UNLESS my wife closes it. She isn't a shooter but she is a good woman, Thank the Lord.
I starated this baiscally for benchrest type shooter for all of us 'ole' guys that can't or don't want to get down and crawl around anymore. I shoot mainly pistol now. I was a USMC instructor, old OKC police officer etc. so I enjoy all of it.
I have posted an 'ad' in the members biz directory if anyone wants to come.
I am a OK SDA instructor and work with the Pott County 4-H shooting sports club. Just send me a PM if you need or want anymore info.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome, TBIRD.

I like the idea you have there.. I think at the end of the day a lot of just want to SHOOT!

Can you give us more information about your range such as targets, typical open times, fees, etc?

TBIRD

Marksman
Reaction score
I am usually home by 5:00pm so if anyone wants to shoot during the evening I should be there most except for wed. Saturdays and Holidays I am usually there. I have an indoor type setup with 50 and 25 yd berms so you can set targets at each. I have one set up at aprox 175 right now from this same firing line. I have another firing line set up with a berm at 100 yds, no cover right now, but it has 4'x4' tops so you can 'spread out'. I am currently use 2' pvc pipe in the ground for target holders, and either 2x2 or 1x2s for target frames with the 'blackborad' insulation as the backing. We just kind of 'chip in' from time to time to resupply. Right now I do all the maintenance since I am there most of the time and like you said, most want to come out to shoot and don't have all that much time. I am getting some bullet traps setup so we can do some indoor shooting when it gets dark or 'cold' outside. I would only recommend 22LR right now, but we have shot up to 44mag. Made me realize we need to do a little more 'design' work. I usually ask people to call before they come just so I can prepare my 'wife' for company. You guys that are married know what I mean.

TBIRD

Marksman
Reaction score
That is 2 inch pvc pipe, about 2 feet long, posted in the ground. Where we shoot the pistol, I have the 3, 5, and 7 yds setup for the typical CCW course and the 7 just to add a little more, also fixed targets at 25 and 50 right now and some moveable to put about where ever you want. The backing ranges from 2feet by 2feet, 2feet by 4feet, both horizontial and vertical. On the rifle I have a 4feet by 8feet set up at 100yds.

USN-SCW-Ret

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My son and I would like to shoot at a outdoor range in the Thunderbird area. I live SE side OKC, he lives Harrah/Mcloud area. We shoot at H&H and Gunworld alot but it would be nice to shoot outside on nice days. We shoot shotguns (12ga & 410ga), 9mm pistols and 22 pistols. We like to shoot on Sundays mid-morning.

TBIRD

Marksman
Reaction score
USN-SCW-Ret
Be glad to have you.
Unfortunately Sunday morning I go to church unless out of town or laid up in bed. Sometimes some of us do a little shooting Sunday afternoon.
If you get a chance drop by and see if we meet your shooting needs.
Thanks,
Ken

Latest posts

Top Bottom