Robert Welch - Tulsa Gun Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thecheat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just thought I'd post up some kudos to Robert Welch and Dewain Reaves over at Tulsa Gun Club. They do CCW classes every Saturday at 10am for $60 as far as I know. I took the class there last weekend and had an absolute BLAST! Also right now if you pick up a copy of "Gusher" which is some sort of newspaper it has a coupon in there to take it for $40 (I picked up the paper at Tally's on 11th and Yale), can't beat that!

They provided pistol and ammo free too!

Contact info:
Robert Welch 918-697-9044

E

Eyedoc

thecheat,

Thanks for the heads up on the Concealed Carry Class at the Tulsa Gun Club. :thumb: Would have been worth it without the Gusher coupon.

Eyedoc

John64

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took their class and thought it was great, but now I am finding out that they MAY HAVE given out wrong info. I specially ask about carrying a backup handgun and was told flat out NO. You can only carry ONE. "Only LEO needs a backup" Now I am finding out that this may not be true.

There were two instructors and the skinny one is who said the above quote. I don't know if it was Robert or Dewain. There was no miscommunication on this subject because I was pissed off about not having the option of carrying a backup.

The class was great, I just have a problem about not being told the correct info.

ryanncass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took their class and thought it was great, but now I am finding out that they gave out bad info. I specially ask about carrying a backup handgun and was told flat out NO. You can only carry ONE. "Only LEO needs a backup" Now I am finding out that this is not true.

So now I am wondering what else they told me that was wrong????

I took the class there too. I wondered the same thing when i heard from other people you can have a bug

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am now doing my third renewal and the same info was given at my course at H&H. The reason given for the information was this from the SDA law:

= = = = = = = = = = = = = =
TITLE 21 § 1290.3. Authority to issue license
AUTHORITY TO ISSUE LICENSE
The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation is hereby authorized to license an eligible person to carry a concealed handgun as provided by the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Sections 1 through 26 of this act. The Bureau’s authority shall be limited to the provisions specifically provided in the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act. The Bureau shall promulgate rules, forms and procedures necessary to implement the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

The use of the specific article "a" implies that the following noun is in the singular form, i.e. one each concealed handgun. This is as specific as the law gets as it does not contain a specific prohibition of a BUG. The only way this gets clarified is for it to go through the court system as the result of charges resulting from the use of a BUG. Personally, I don't care to be the test case. YMMV, of course...

John64

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Then you have this on line 2. It says "any" not "a". Was the law written to be vague or what.

TITLE 21 § 1290.2. Definitions

DEFINITIONS

As used in Sections 1 through 26 of this act:

1. Concealed handgun means a loaded or unloaded pistol carried hidden from the detection and view of another person either upon or about the person, in a purse or other container belonging to the person, or in a vehicle which is operated by the person or in which the person is riding as a passenger; and
2. Pistol means any derringer, revolver or semiautomatic firearm which:
a. has an overall length of less that sixteen (16) inches and is able to be fully concealed from detection and view,
b. is capable of discharging a projectile composed of any material which may reasonably be expected to be able to cause lethal injury,
c. is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand, and
d. uses either gunpowder, gas or any means of rocket propulsion to discharge the projectile.
The definition of pistol for purposes of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall not apply to homemade or imitation pistols, flare guns, underwater fishing guns or blank pistols.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Then you have this on line 2. It says "any" not "a". Was the law written to be vague or what.

TITLE 21 § 1290.2. Definitions

DEFINITIONS

As used in Sections 1 through 26 of this act:

1. Concealed handgun means a loaded or unloaded pistol carried hidden from the detection and view of another person either upon or about the person, in a purse or other container belonging to the person, or in a vehicle which is operated by the person or in which the person is riding as a passenger; and
2. Pistol means any derringer, revolver or semiautomatic firearm which:
a. has an overall length of less that sixteen (16) inches and is able to be fully concealed from detection and view,
b. is capable of discharging a projectile composed of any material which may reasonably be expected to be able to cause lethal injury,
c. is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand, and
d. uses either gunpowder, gas or any means of rocket propulsion to discharge the projectile.
The definition of pistol for purposes of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall not apply to homemade or imitation pistols, flare guns, underwater fishing guns or blank pistols.

Indeed -- just exactly how such things end up in court with dueling lawyers trying to convince a judge of the proper understanding of various parts of speech and their bearing upon the case at hand. And that's before they argue motions on which part of the law carries more weight, the definitions section that you quoted or the authority section that I quoted.

Carrying one piece is about all I can say grace over so I try to be as capable as possible with it, including reloads and situational awareness that should keep me away from needing a BUG.

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Funny thing about the law, unless it states one cannot do something, then there is no prohibition from said something.

There is nothing in the SDA specifying how many handguns one can carry.

Latest posts

Top Bottom