LeverEvolution Range Report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Today I shot the new Hornady LeverEvolution in 30-30. My rifle is a Marlin 336CS; I have it scoped with a Bushnell Trophy 3-9X40. I have fired many rounds through this gun to try and find the "best" load for it. I have tried just about all the factory loaded ammo in 30-30. The best load I have found for my rifle is the Winchester Silvertip 150gr. At 100 yards I can consistently shoot 1.5" groups with this load. All other loads open up to 2"-3" at 100 yards. The best 5-shot 100 yard group with the Win ST was 1.1".

I went to Banner gun range this morning. I shot from the bench with my rifle rested on my range bag. No fancy gun vises or anything like that. I fired 3 rounds of the Hornady to check zero. This load has a dramatically different point of impact from the Win. ST zero I had. It landed 4" high and 4" left of center. I rechecked zero with the Win. ST and it hit perfect, 1" high at 100 yards.

I then loaded 5 rounds of the Hornady LeverEvolution in the tubular magazine of the Marlin. I aimed at the bottom right dot, so that my rounds would hit somewhere in the middle of my new target. The pics you see are these 5 rounds. I had 1 flyer b/c I flinched. I knew I flinched when I pulled the trigger, so I didn't count that round. The 4-shot group measures 1.030". And this is at 100 yards. I was short on time, so I stopped there. I feel confident that I can shoot sub-1" groups if I try. I didn't expect my first group to be as good as it turned out.

The Hornady LeverEvolution is the new hunting round for my 30-30. I just need to get out and group it at 200-250 yards. One thing that surprized me was the recoil. It had less recoil than the Win. ST 150gr. Hornady advertises this ammo to be loaded "hotter" than other 30-30 loads. I guess by "hotter", they mean more muzzle velocity and energy. Whatever powder they are using is working good, it pushes this 160gr. bullet faster, with more energy, with LESS recoil. I am happy.:)

If you are not familiar with the Hornady LeverEvolution ammo, go to http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=198 and check out the new pointed tip ammo for lever guns.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cool man, thanks for posting your results. I own the same gun and was wondering how well it worked. We have sold every bit we have received and now I can recommend it.

CASTRATE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i know it is an old thread but do they work that much better then silver tip thanks

my uncle shot a 190# buck with two of the leverevolutions, and neither bullet went all the way through. they killed the dear, but one bullet only went halfway through, and the other went about 3/4 of the way. would have been a real pain in the but if he had to track him in the timber.

Latest posts

Top Bottom