CCW OK Permit in Missouri and Illinois

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okshooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone know what the laws are in Mo. and Ill. with reguards to CCW using an OK permit? Also, do either of these states allow CCW but disallow carrying high capacity mags? Thanks

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to travel through IL with some regularity, and lived in IL for 10 yrs.
The safest way to transport a gun in IL is unloaded gun locked in a fully enclosed container and the ammo in another. Don't open the containers for anyone. Drive like you do not want to be stopped for a traffic violation--you don't.
Although the IL law says the gun must only be fully enclosed, inaccessible , and the ammo separate, IL LEO sometimes have a strange view of "separate." Some consider if they are both visible at the same time, they are "together."

Oh yes, it is illegal to possess a handgun in Chicago and some of its suburbs, period.

Jam Master Jay

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I used to drive up into IL I just took the mag out and put it in the glove compartment and the gun in a bag in the back (SUV). I never got pulled over but if I had I'd never have mentioned it.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I traveled through Illinois a few weeks ago. Before I got to Illinois I disassembled my handgun, took all the ammo out of my mags and stored them all in a locked container under the back seat of my truck (as far away from me as possible).

Illinois doesn't recognized any CCW. Illinois issues FOID (Firearms ID) cards ...which wont allow you to carry. Residents must have a FOID card to by a gun or ammo.

For more info I attached a link to the state police brochure on how to transport a firearm in Illinois. Hope this helps: http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

Illinois blows. I too lived there for about 5 years and moving to OK around 12 years ago was a great day for me. Rod has everything right. I on occasion have to travel to Michican and sadly Illinois is part of that trip. Shortly before I get to St. Louis I pull over, unload my CCW, put bullets in some container, put gun in a seperate closed container, put both away in my luggage, all in the trunk. Drive through Illinois following every traffic rule and staying with 2-3 mph of the limit. I usually cut right across the state into Indiana which respects the U.S. constitution and my OK CCW license. AVOID Chicago and suburbs at all costs. Firearm laws there are insane. Each little suburb can define any crazy insane rule and they all love to prosecute anyone who steps one dot outside the line. I'll say it again, Illinois blows...

Thanks,

Alan

Latest posts

Top Bottom