water jug at 150 yds with a handgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h8ns8n

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Another thread deals with hitting a water jug at 150 yds with a handgun. I di not want to hijack that thread but I have to ask....
How many of you guys can do that????????
Maybe it is the fact that I have never attempted a shot that far out but honestly I don't think I could hit a 55 gal drum at 150 yds, LOL. Anyway I was just curious as to how many of you guys are able to make that shot?

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another thread deals with hitting a water jug at 150 yds with a handgun. I di not want to hijack that thread but I have to ask....
How many of you guys can do that????????
Maybe it is the fact that I have never attempted a shot that far out but honestly I don't think I could hit a 55 gal drum at 150 yds, LOL. Anyway I was just curious as to how many of you guys are able to make that shot?

I'm certain I could hit a 1 gallon jug at 100yds, makes me think i could eventually hit one at 150.

I'm positive I could hit a 55 gallon drum.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like any shooting, a little training and practice help for longer-range shooting.

Last time I shot .22 pistol metallic silhouette with my 6" Model 617 S&W (iron sights), I hit 6 of the 10 rams at 100 meters. The effective hit area of the ram is about 4" by 6". One fellow with a Contender went 10 for 10.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my Elmer Keith emulation days, I shot my S&W 29 at water-filled milk jugs at 100 yards (furthest available to me then). With a solid seated backrest position (look in the Keith books) I'd splatter water pretty often with the classic 9 gr of Unique under a 240 Keith SWC lead bullet. Makes me want to try it again to see if I can still do it.

RobC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 100 yard silhouettes on the smallbore range at Red Castle are no trouble for handguns. The 150 and 200 yard silhouettes are trickier because of the hold over. Witnesses can confirm that even with my Beretta 21A, 100 yards is not that difficult to do. My Beretta 87BB (not the target version) makes it child's play. My shooting buddy and I rarely shoot at the closer silhouettes. We just pepper the 100 yard pigs with our .22lr ARs until they fall over.

Rob

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't ever tried to... and probably never will. I see no point of using a handgun to hit a target 150 yards away. I have an AR for that kind of thing.

I say that though with this in mind - my handguns are for CCW duty. As such - I will not engage with anything even half that distance. I practice at 7-25 yards. This is typical self defense range.

But whatever floats one's boat. ;)

ChrisC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i see a point, if the person i need to stop is 150 yards out and all i have is my hand gun....

ie someone shooting at you with a rifle and your pinned down with only your trusty pistol... better know how to use it...

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So your scenario is that you're walking down the street, trusty glock strapped on...and someone opens fire at you from 150 yards with a rifle?

I'm pretty sure you would just haul ass to cover (which would likely be easy to find at that range) rather than go round for round with the shooter. 2/10 slow fired on a water jug at 150 yards is pretty much inapplicable.

Anyways, it sounds fun. Shooting is fun and doesn't all have to be "training," now does it?

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i see a point, if the person i need to stop is 150 yards out and all i have is my hand gun....

ie someone shooting at you with a rifle and your pinned down with only your trusty pistol... better know how to use it...

I assume then that you also have a fire extinguisher and snake bite kit in your fanny pack? J/K ;)

Yes it could happen. It is feasible... and also extremely unlikely. Getting mugged or attacked suddenly and abruptly at close range at night is much more likely. Known instances of the former - miniscule. Known instances of the latter - disturbingly more common.

But I admit that it might be a handy skill for the coming Zombie attacks... :gun2:

If you are really that concerned about someone attacking you with a rifle from 150 yards away, carry an AR or hunting rifle in your vehicle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom