What's a good self defense gun for Grizzlies?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KC10Chief

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I just found out recently that I am going to be moving to Anchorage, AK. I'm in the Air Force by the way. Anyways, I'm not really concerned about bear attacks as I am about using it as an excuse to get a new gun! HA! But I like to hunt and fish. I doubt I'll hunt bear or moose or anything big. But I will hunt ducks and do some salmon fishing while I'm there. Say a Grizzly bear came after me. Would a .44mag do the trick with the right ammo? I'd like something big and powerful, but somewhat practical at the same time. I hear a lot of people carry .44's up there. I had my eye on the Ruger Super Redhawk in a .44mag. What do you guys think? Is a .44 enough or do I need something bigger?

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your best defense against a grizzly is to be with someone who runs slower than you. If you're by yourself, the biggest caliber handgun that you can put in the bear's mouth will do. A 10 or 12 ga. shotgun with slugs is another possibility.

A friend of mine moved to Anchorage many years ago and has never left. It's a sportsman's paradise with moderate weather, thanks to the Japan current.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It depends on what kind of outdoor stuff your doing. Everyone can talk about all kinds of exotic calibers and stuff like that but the one most often carried up there is a .44 magnum. Usually a S&W but I've noticed more Rugers showing up as well.

If your out hiking, prospecting or just goofing off the only firearm that is worthwhile is one that you have immediate access to. Those that rely solely on shotguns or rifles tend to end up leaving them in camp or slung on their ATV.

It seems like this gets debated on the Alaska Outdoor Forum about every month.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php?t=37234

gundummy911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I spent many years in North Idaho before I retired, and my barber there spent summers guiding fishing expeditions into the heart of bear country. His solution was a Stevens 311 12ga SXS. One barrel loaded with a slug, and the other with "00" buck.
He had successfully used this combination on several occasions when curious grizzlies had gotten un comfortably close or had charged his party. He applied it like this: "First, you give him the buck shot in the face or chest area. If the Bear is merely curious this will usually cure that, and he will retreat.
If the bear is determined, and seems to have his heart set on "surf AND turf", then the buck applied that way will stop him and nine times out of ten, he will sit down on his haunches while he tries to figure out what hit him, then you deliver the slug to the chest.
JMHO

Latest posts

Top Bottom