New Redhawk or S&W Mountain Gun in .45 Colt (LC)?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which do you prefer?

• 4" Redhawk

Votes: 34 58.6%
  • S&W Mountain Gun

Votes: 24 41.4%

• Total voters

Oklahoma Joe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am having a hard time deciding which I want. I know the Ruger is hands down more durable and more suited for the heavy hitters. My question is this. Who has either/or both or has at least tried both the new Ruger and a S&W Mountain Gun (actually held as well as fired)? Which did/do you like better overall and why? Points of interest are balance,feel,recoil,weight when carried,etc.

Only looking for input from hands on experience of either or please!

I would like to shoot both myself before making my decision as well, so if anyone has one or the other and would be interested in letting me shoot it/them I would appreciate it much as well as pay their range fee's as well as provide my own ammo.

Thanks in advance for your replies and input!:hey3:

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You should be able to reload the 45 Colt up real nice and hot with the Ruger. The S&W Mountain Gun is a little light to be hot rodding.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got one of the 4" Redhawks. I really like it and would definetly pick it over the S&W. But I am a Ruger revolver fan and think they currently put make the best value revolvers.

Pros:

No lock.
Good sights.
Durability. Able to handle "Ruger Only" loads. (does have pretty stout recoil with heavy loads.)
Great double action trigger.
Good balance and grip fits me.
I like the look of it.

Cons:
Weight (doesn't bother me really)
Single action trigger could be better.

I've never shot a Mountain Gun so I could not tell you anything about them, but I'm sure it is a fine gun. Really comes down to whether your a Ruger person or a S&W person. Heres reviews on both.

http://www.gunblast.com/SW-25Mountain.htm

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-Redhawk45.htm

Sorry all I can offer you is my experience, my schedule and location won't allow me to let you try it out. Good Luck!

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Redhawk weighs a lot more and felt recoil is substantially less. The S&W is an easy packing gun. Will you carry it a lot and shoot only a little? Will you use hot loads or only standard factory stuff? What is the ultimate purpose for the pistol?
I plan on buying a Redhawk soon, as I want a big, heavy duty back-up gun and I love the .45 Colt. The quality of S&W has not been the greatest lately.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a strong and rugged pistol, Ruger all the way. Recoil in them, as mentioned, is hardly anything compared to a similar load in a S&W.

However, if you plan to pack a lot and shoot little, I would go S&W.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Carry a lot, Smith. Shoot a lot, Ruger. I have a 629MG and love it. It makes for comfortable carry in the woods all day. I haven't had a Redhawk, but the GP-100 I had was built like a tank. It was obviously designed to take a steady diet of heavy loads.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Redhawk does weigh alot, but it rides pretty good in a good belt/holster combo. Thats the main thing, in a crappy holster and flimsy belt it would be unbearable. Mine has served it purpose as an easily packable, legal barrel length deer hunting backup gun well and has been on many 1+ mile hikes up and down ridges 2-3 times a day to tree stands and it has never really bothered me. It rides in an EPS # 77 Tortilla very comfortably.

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

OKWalker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
[Broken External Image]

Does it bother you that the trigger is wide open in that holster?

Gonna go movie gun play here: in Die Hard 4 the crooks keep getting shot in the foot because the good guys reach down to the bad guy's holsters and pull the exposed trigger. I kept thinking - no way!

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does it bother you that the trigger is wide open in that holster?

No, it's a DA revolver with heavy trigger pull. You would have to really put some force on it to get it to pull. It's not like a cocked and locked 1911 or anything.

Plus the thumbreak goes over the back of the hammer, preventing it from moving back at all. It has a transfer bar safety so the hammer can't hit the pin unless it cycles completly.
Exposed triggers on revolver holster are pretty common.

As far as a movie bad guy pulling it, well the only time it leaves the safe is to go to the woods where there are more animals than people.:D

OKWalker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, it's a DA revolver with heavy trigger pull. You would have to really put some force on it to get it to pull. It's not like a cocked and locked 1911 or anything.

Plus the thumbreak goes over the back of the hammer, preventing it from moving back at all. It has a transfer bar safety so the hammer can't hit the pin unless it cycles completly.
Exposed triggers on revolver holster are pretty common.

As far as a movie bad guy pulling it, well the only time it leaves the safe is to go to the woods where there are more animals than people.:D

Gotcha - was just wondering. I am used to 1911s specifically, I guess that explains my fear of exposed triggers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom