9mm to 38super?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The breechface can be used for either caliber. You would need a new barrel at a minimum and likely a new extractor tuned for the new case rim dimensions, although you may just be able to adjust the tension and go with it. Depending on what ejector is in the gun and who installed it I would think it has the possibility of working but may also need to be changed out. The 9mm probably has a ramped barrel so be sure to get the right ramp on your replacement part.

My question is why? 38 super brass is more expensive and depending on the barrel, may not shoot commonly sourced .355 bullets very well.

Upon thinking about it, you may be able to rechamber the 9mm barrel to accept the 38 super case. That would give you a barrel guaranteed to shoot 9mm bullets well. I'd talk it over with a smith first, you may go over to brianenos and ask the guys there what could be done.

GT

44.40 wheelgunner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thanks for the input............as to why? I've always liked 38supers for their accuracy and flat shooting. but I agree, ...unless you reload, a bit expensive,
which I do, as far as rechambering, also agree, once its done, its 38 super only.
mark

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't mean to dissuade you from the project. It's a lot simpler than "I want to turn my 45 into a 9mm."

If I were tackling the project I would just slap a 38 super barrel in the pistol and see if it ran. You can get the tools from Brownells and the know how is out there for those who want to do these things for themselves. Plus, once you have the tools and know how you can build any 1911 pattern gun you want in whatever caliber creams your twinkie. Wouldn't that be fun!

I'll have a doublestack 6" 10mm if you please!

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
what would be involved in converting a 9mm to a 38super in a 1911a1,
colt, kimber, others?

Optimally, in a 1911 the desired breechface for a 9mm is a tad smaller than one acceptable for a .38 Super. The 9mm slide will probably work for a Super, but don't expect 100% if working the reverse caliber conversion. The extractor tension will have to be reset.

The factory barrel twist may not be optimal for .38 Super. Aftermarket .38 Super barrels are 1-16 or 1-14". Some 9mm barrels run as fast as 1-10" twist.

Latest posts

Top Bottom