.22LR pistol for plinking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a .22 to shoot at plates and cans on Sunday afternoons. I'm leaning towards the Browning Buckmark but would like some input.

azmrb

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The Buckmark is good, so is the Ruger MK3.

Don't overlook the Ruger Single Six.
It's a bit slow to load and unload but you get the extra cylinder you can pop in and shoot some .22Mag occasionally.

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buckmarks are good. If you like the feel of the buckmark, try the 22/45 version of the Ruger Mark 3 (not the Mark 2!) 22 pistol. Try a standard Ruger Mark 2 or 3 as well; the grip angle is different than a buckmark and may fit you better.

For a can plinkin' 22 pistol, adjustable sights are very nice to have.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

It is all about the type of shooting you want to do.

I had a Buck Mark and it was a nice pistol. It produced small easy groups with that light single action trigger. It jammed occasionally, but was reliable for the most part. This is going to sound odd, but I felt it was almost too easy to shoot and for that reason I didn't take it to the range as much as I thought I would. Over at rimfirecentral they have some trigger improvement tricks to make it even easier to shoot.

I'm (with any luck) hoping to pick up a Single Six today. Given the longer lock time of single actions it should be a bit harder to get small groups with, but my goals for it are fun slow plinking and that it will be a good safe training gun for my son and wife.

Good luck,

Alan

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the little rugers, but the only 22 pistol for plinking I have is a S&W Model 18-4.

A good 22 revolver doesn't care what ammo you throw at it or how dirty it gets.

larkinmusic

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My vote goes to the Beretta NEOS. Mine has yet to jam, is accurate, and is very easy to field strip and clean. And it looks cool.:)

The only complaint I have is the location of the safety, but I never use it so it hasn't been that big of an issue.

ai45.photobucket.com_albums_f76_larkintulsa_IMG_1339.jpg

leardriver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've owned a couple Buckmarks, and they were fine. My son was giving me a hard time for trading that last one. It would cycle any ammo it was fed, even the Remington Thunderbolts.

I've also owned several Sig Mosquitos. I still have one in olive green that is NIB. Don't know what I'm saving it for. The Mosquitos fit my large hand better than most, and they've got the features of a full size Sig.

These days, I'm plinking with a S&W 422. Just got it last week, and I'm still experimenting. Today I'll find out how it likes those cheap Thunderbolts. I also have a S&W 2206 for sale in the classified ads forum. However, I have not fired it yet.

I've never had a Ruger semi-auto .22, mainly because I don't care for the look. But most people really like them. If I ever found a S&W 8-shot .22 revolver at a decent price, I would scarf it up for sure. Like the man mentioned earlier, a revolver is not a picky eater when it comes to ammo.

Conclusion? For me, I guess it was the last Buckmark. Some of the best money I ever spent.

Cap'n Bill

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Calico

GSG-5P

or convert a:
Glock
CZ-75B
EAA Witness

The Buckmarks are nice, though, and a bit easier to take care of than Ruger autos.
You could always get a Ruger Charger, though!

Latest posts

Top Bottom