Action dragging on 2nd Gen Univ M1 Carbine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBowman325

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I put this up on the M1 carbine forum, but looks like they're not around much. Since I'm home sick, can't wash the cars, mow the grass or shoot, I'd dig into an issue I've found with my M1 Carbine - the action drags and I get a failure to feed as the slide doesn't return to battery.

New rifle to me, oiled it up some and put a box of ammo down range. At the end of the magazine I started to get some feed issues. Since this magazine's been loaded at least 18 months and prob longer, I figured it was a weak spring. Load it up and shoot some more with more intermittent failures. So I stop and finish the session with the 1911.

Once I managed to field strip it, I noticed that the receiver, where the bolt cycles back, has an edge that's a bit rough that appears to be the cause of the dragging. I'm unsure of how it got this way. (I didn't field strip it prior to shooting, but sprayed the receiver over and around with oil, cycled the bolt and sprayed some more and there was evidence of lubrication back there... Perhaps it was my fault but seems to have developed quickly for that) Appears some simple polishing of that edge would do wonders. The back of the bolt has some minor deformation from running on that edge but otherwise appears to be fine. A call places to H&H states that they're backlogged 5-6 weeks.

Tell me what y'all think. Problem areas are indicated in red / yellow. (Macro mode didn't work as expected on the camera. If desired I'll snap another set after a nap..)

Latest posts

Top Bottom