Don't Brandish or point

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure some of the people reading this thread are CHL instructors, so I have a question.

Is it brandishing and/or pointing a weapon if a CHL holder pulls out his handgun and points it at a BG, in a situation where he perceives a threat, and then the BG stops his "attack"? In other words if you pull out your gun and the other guy backs off, have you violated any laws?

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where does this article say the pilot had an SDA permit?

CorpsVet, that's not brandishing under any definition I've heard of, it's called "admirable restraint". ;) What the guy in the story allegedly did would be textbook brandishing.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sure some of the people reading this thread are CHL instructors, so I have a question.

Is it brandishing and/or pointing a weapon if a CHL holder pulls out his handgun and points it at a BG, in a situation where he perceives a threat, and then the BG stops his "attack"? In other words if you pull out your gun and the other guy backs off, have you violated any laws?

NO. Read the SDA. It is a misdemeanoer or sometimes a felony, to flash, brandish, display, point, or discharge a firearm without lawful cause. Read the law for the exact wording/

The problem this guy has is he had no lawful cause to display a firearm. Big mistake.

jpdog13

Marksman
Reaction score
Where does this article say the pilot had an SDA permit?

Police questioned Inman, who was arrested on a felony pointing a weapon at another complaint, and transported to the city jail. At the time of the incident, Inman had a valid concealed weapon license, police said.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

That depends. Criminals have been known to call the cops when they're threatened (even if it's legally). The key is to be the complaintant. If he calls and says you pointed a gun at him, the police arrive and find you with a gun, guess who's the suspect? You.

I would highly recommend that as soon as you can safely do so, call 911 and describe the events and suspect description. Then you're the complaintant and have the upper hand if questions arise. You should be reporting a crime if you witness one are the victim. Otherwise, you could wind up being wanted for questioning.

jdgabbard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, just the word "brandish" in the SDA is pretty vague. And leaves open to interpretation. But you guys are right. That guy must have been like the smartest kid with Down Syndrome.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

This is covered in the manual. It is perfectly legal to point your weapon when threatened , even if you do not use it. You must be justified to use it before you pull it, but once you have it out you do not have to fire it its the threat goes away.

Michael

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
People in traffic are nuts these days.Ive driven all over the US as a touring musician and Ive seen it all I think.lve driven to work and back daily in a lot of major cities.Ive just always decided to be standoffish and keep my distance from everybody.I get cut off or whatever,if I'm still alive and my vehicle is ok why push it.I'm not a traffic cop.Its not my job to counsel idiotic drivers on how to drive like some people think they need to do.I dont flip the finger,yell at em,nothing.I just wave at em and smile real big.That pisses them off even when they were the ones in the wrong.But I damn sure dont hold up a gun.Thats freaking insane.So what I'm a CC holder with a gun on me,knife in my pocket,a big guy,etc.Its not worth it to me to get upset by mere traffic tards.I just back off and let em go on down the road hoping they dont hurt or kill someone else.As long as I'm ok and my auto is ok thats all that matters to me.

I have to keep my little 5'4" 120lb wife held back though.She's terrible to be with in traffic.I won't ride with her at all.I drive when we're together.I realize she's been driving from Coweta to Tulsa on the BA Xpressway to work and back every week day for years and years 8a-6p.She is nuts though.People cut her off or whatever she will flip the finger,yell at them,tailgate them some times,you name it.I always tell her she gets someone upset it's her fight,not mine,I'm staying out of it.I dread the day some asshat follows her home and starts trouble at our house where I will be forced to get involved just to save her stupid ass.

Latest posts

Top Bottom