Help with Ejection issue on SA1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a SA Mil Spec 1911 (not GI) that has approx. 600 rounds fired.

I've noticed an increase in stovepipes. And, even when not stovepiping,.. I am noticing the brass with "stovepipe" like marks...

[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

I've performed a full cleaning (removing pin and extractor), and still have the problem.

Would I be correct in assuming this is an extractor tension issue/extractor tune?

Thanks.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe the tension is incorrect. I would let Olyeller take a look at it. I had a 1911 once that did the same thing and a local gunsmith, Ken Hallock, fixed it in about 5 minutes.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To check extractor tension, take the slide and stick an empty case under the extractor on the breechface as it would be if the barrel were installed. From the top, use the tip of your finger near the web of the case and push the case straight down. It should take about 4 pounds of force to dislodge the case from under the extractor. When removing the extractor from the channel, it should be neither loose, nor require excessive force to pull it out.

Also check the critical surface of the extractor where it contacts the case to see if there are any chips or peening.

Also check your ejector to see if it's loose, or if there are any chips or peening to it.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Top Bottom