Need Hunting Shotgun Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
TOPIC: Upland hunting shotgun

So I think I'm about to get into a new hobby. Hunting. Dove and Quail mostly - maybe the occasional pheasant. My cousin and many friends grew up hunting birds, but I somehow never went with them. That is about to change. This means I need a shotgun. Again - Dove, Quail, Pheasant - most likely not duck or other water fowl. I believe "upland" is the term used to describe what I am interested in doing.

MONIES: $500-1000
I will be selling my Noveske sometimes soon and will use some of that money to fund this project. MAX Price I am willing to go: $1000. No more. I would prefer $500-700 range.

REQUEST FOR SUGGESTIONS: Which Action? Which brand?
Since I am a wet behind the ear newbie at this, I would greatly appreciate input from those of you on the forum that have already been there done that. I understand that just like handguns, we all have our particular favorite brands and actions. My preference for a Wilson Combat or Glock doesn't mean that someone else won't prefer SIG or Colt. I understand that going into this question.

PUMP OR AUTO?

Pump: Why go with a pump over an auto?

Of the pumps that I have looked at, the ones that I liked the most were the BPS and the 870. I didn't care much for the express model, but I understand that the Wingmaster is very nice and a good challenge to the BPS in looks. Which would you go with and why?

Auto: Why go with an auto over a pump?

Of the autos that I have been able to handle, the ones that I liked the most were the Winchester SX3, then the Franchi I-12, and then the 11-87. I have yet to handle the Beretta 391 or the Browning Silver Hunter.

From reading, if I go with the <$900 range - I'd likely go with one of the following:
Browning Silver Hunter
Winchester SX3 (synthetic)
Beretta AL 391 Urika 2 (synthetic)

If pump, one of the following:
Browning BPS
Remington 870 Wingmaster

You'll notice there are no O/U shotguns mentioned. This is because I am a firm believer in crying once for high quality. From everything that I have read, you get what you pay for in the O/U world as much as the 1911 world. I am just not willing to spend $1500 on a Citori currently. So no O/U right now, even though I am sure the CZ O/U would probably be fine. Hell, if you feel strongly enough about it - explain why I should go with an O/U over an auto or pump. I would appreciate the education. Alright guys, please hit me with your best advice. Thanks! :)

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Whatever you decide, go with a light gun in the 24-26" barrel range for quick pointability. While a 28-30" gun would be ideal for dove (swingability and follow through), that extra length and weight will be cumbersome in the upland fields. You might consider an extra barrel at some point to get the best of both.

I would lean towards a Beretta or Browning personally. Since you're going for Pheasant, you'll probably want to stick with a 12ga. For quail a 20 is ideal.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would lean towards a Beretta or Browning personally. Since you're going for Pheasant, you'll probably want to stick with a 12ga. For quail a 20 is ideal.

+1, and going a bit further by recommending Semi Auto. I hunt fowl with an A391. Its out of your specified range, but you can pick up a 3901 in a 26" barrel between 500-1000.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i assume you are hunting out of Norman. i don't think there are any serious quail in the state. there use to be some out west but my friends are telling me harder and harder to find. were are talking public and private land with permission not some 2000 acre private refuge.

this leaves dove which is good opening day and then you can find them if you have the time and experience and this is your hobby. but dove season after opening day can be a real hit and miss deal. if u have to drive very far it becomes a large time factor and more work.

pheasant is in kansas and you need family, contacts, group of guys to make that work or travel with 3-4 guys to s. dakota and the driving and hunt takes about all week.

many guys have realized there is not much game around so they have gone to skeet and trap. also they have gone do deer which there is a bunch.

i have shot shotguns all my life and have pumps, semi, o/u, side by side.

not all shotguns are the same and you will find that you shoot better with one gun than another. u really can't go by brand but by which gun allows you to hit the target. a shotgun must fit you. this can mean adjusting the stock for length and comp height. if u are shooting a gun that does not fit you u are wasting your time. at 30 yards as much as 1/2 of your pattern is off the target.

realize that what you are buying is a "pattern" to knock down your target. with a shotgun it does not matter how pretty or new it is but whether or not you can hit what you are aming at.

some guns throw a better pattern than others due to design, fit, back boring, longer forcing comes, chokes, pointability, and balance. a o/u browning citori is number one on my list. buy a browning citori in good shape, don't abuse it, shoot it for years, and get what you paid for it. browning citoris are back bored which means you get a better pattern. i can hit skeet and birds soooo much better with my o/u than all my other guns it is almost wierd, but it is what it is.

a beretta 390 and 391 semi have crome lined barrels which means that the shot does not deform going down the barrel and the pattern is much better. a beretta semi auto 391 urika with a 26 or 28 barrel is a great gun for dove, pheasant, and skeet and trap. a 390 which is an older model is also a great gun.

remington 870 wingmaster, not the cheap and very heavy express is also a gun that has been a great success in the field for a long time. it points great and people take a lot of game home with them. do not buy an express for their barrels are not quality controlled and thus create poor shot patterns. very, very hard to drive 6 hours and pay for a few hotel nights and means and see that u are missing your birds due to buying a cheap shotgun.

whateverr u do, buy a gun with screw in chokes. if you think you might go from hunting to skeet, do not buy a barrel less tan 28". if u buy a 24" barrel and want to sell it u will find very few buyers. now i am talking upland hunting not turkey. turkey is a totally diff subject.

remington 1100 and 1187 are very hard to beat. price is fair, dependable, been around forever, gunsmiths know them, parts are available, can resell them.

to find a gun that you shoot well u might have to buy, shoot and trade a few before u find the one. synthetic aren't real popular with shotgunners. for one thing the stock is harder to adjust for fit.

if u want to know more about fit give me a buzz and i will hook u up with someone in your area. u may be able to buy a gun off the rack and it fits u oK. BUT maybe not and it a shotgun does not fit u u are WASTING YOUR TIME.

OH, IF YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT SKEET U WILL NOT BE HAPPY WITH A PUMP, TRAP OK BUT NOT SKEET. ALSO A SEMI ABSORB MUCH MORE RECOIL THAN A PUMP OR O/U AND RECOIL IN A SHOTGUN IS A MAJOR FACTOR.

GOOD LUCK.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So U Will Know From Where I Am Talking About, I Shoot Skeet Once Or Twice A Week And Also Shoot Competitive And Also Shoot Trap. I Own A Lot Of Shotguns.

Nowdays You Do Not Buy Extra Barrels As They Are Expensive
($180 - $400) But You Buy One Barrel With Screw In Chokes From $17 To $35 Each. Diff Chokes Give You Diff Pattern Sizes Which Is What You Will Want To Be Able To Do.

Do Not Buy A Cz O/u Do Not, I Repeat Do Not Guy A Cheap O/u. Many, Many Guys At Club Have Tried This And They Are Broken. In Shop, 3-5 Times And They Will Not Shoot. They Are Cheaply Made, Cannot Find Parts, And U Are Throwing Your Money Away Plus A Bunch Of Frustration. If U Want My List Of Quality O/u E-mail Me.

EVERYONE HAS THEIR FAVORITES BASED MAINLY ON WHAT THEY HAVE OWNED AND SHOT. BUT I CAN TELL U THIS. U SEE A LOT OF 870 WINGMASTERS, BROWNING AND BERETTA O/U, AND REMINGTON 1100 AND 1187 IN UPLAND HUNTING. NOT HARDLY ANY SIDE BY SIDES, AND SOME BENELLIE SEMIS AND SOME VERY LIGHT FRANCHI 20 GUAGE SEMIS, SOME PUMP WINCHESTERS 1200 ARE GREAT AND I THINK 1300 IS A GOOD BUY, NOT TOO MANY OLDER WINCHESER SEMIS, AND A ITHICA MODEL 37 FEATHERLIGHT I 12 OR 16 IS A GUN SOME OF THE OLDER GUYS GREW UP WITH AND REALLY DEPEND ON.

CASTRATE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my ol' lady has a winchester 1200, and we love it. i normally use my mossberg 500a special purpose. not much of a bird gun, but it has had about 10,000 flawless rounds through it, and shoots great

walker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go with a 26" semi auto for recoil comfort and speed. In that price range the Rem 11-87 works good if it fits you. Browning golds are good shooters also and are more comfortable to some for a little more $$.
A little out of your price range, I shoot a 26" Benelli SBE2 for everything, best shotgun I ever held.

Latest posts

Top Bottom