Controlled Hunts 2009

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Did you put in your application by May 15th? Results are usually out around July 9th, a little over a month away.

What did you try for this year? I quit trying for McAAP - did that one 2 years ago, and it's not even CLOSE to what it's cracked up to be.

I put in for elk, pronghorn, turkey, and for my 5 deer, I chose all ML hunts (pre-rut, ya know, and I have some nice MLs that will shoot), and all were either-sex hunts (had done doe-only in the past to increase draw chance, but I dumped that philosophy this year).

I think I picked 1 west (Sandy Sanders) and 4 east (Cherokee, Ft. Gibson, Cookson, and McGee Creek), IIRC. Really hoping for the Sandy Sanders.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My mom does them for me, my dad and my brother, so it's whatever my Dad wants. We have been drawn twice. One was outside Slaughterville, Rifle and the other was Deep Fork Bow. My brother got a small buck near Slaughterville.

Good luck and the only thing I hope for is to get drawn in to Elk before I die (which hopefully will be in 65+ years)

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What did you try for this year? I quit trying for McAAP - did that one 2 years ago, and it's not even CLOSE to what it's cracked up to be.

What's your beef with the MCAAP? the only negative experience I have had there was once it was hotter than a vinyl truck seat in hell (my fault for selecting an early season hunt, never again) but I still got a shot and saw deer every day.

My dad has been 4 times and had 3 close encounters with bucks 160" and up. Not bad for 8 days hunting. I have not been lucky enough to see a monster from stand there, but I have seen them driving in/out, and saw smaller bucks/does evertime I have been on stand at MCAAP.

I guess it depends on what your expectations are, if you are looking for an easy score on a big buck you will be dissapointed. You need alot of knowledge and still need ALOT of luck to score down there.

I go just for the oppurtunity to hunt the quality deer down there, IIRC they are nearing in on 1:1 buck-doe ratio. I have never came home from MCAAP with anything but ticks and stories, but it from my viewpoint, it is more than it is cracked up to be.

17 P&Y bucks with trad gear on public land in one year says something. The place has an amazing whitetail herd.

http://www.mcaapcontrolledhunts.com

My choices this year were:

1.MCAAP
2.MCAAP
3.MCAAP
4. Rifle hunt "somewhere out west";)
5. Rifle hunt "somewhere out east";)

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.mcaapcontrolledhunts.com/All_Time_Greats.htm

HOLY CRAP! Why have I never applied for this place?

Dang it! I shouldn't have posted it. Stay out noob!:tounge:

No I'm just kidding, they draw so many hunters the odds are good and I think every Okie needs to experience it at least once. Worth putting in for.

I would go every year if I could. I have had some pretty cool experiences and seen some nice deer, and I know if I keep trying it will only get better.
My dad has had 2 really amazing encounters down there. He had 2 160"+ bucks fighting over a doe 17 yards away. He was sitting on the ground, they were behind thick undergrowth so no clear shot, but I would love to just have the oppurtunity to see what he saw.

Now the rifle/ML hunts I put in for only have a handful of tags, and this site comes up alot on Google for Oklahoma hunting, so I had to be a little paranoid and not disclose everything.:D

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My brothers and I always apply for MCAAP hunts first. We have been drawn several times, including last year, and I have had several close encounters but not deer yet. Hit a hog last year and never recovered it. My brother got a hog and another brother had several shots at deer without ever connecting. We all saw some good bucks and were close but not cigar.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is my first time to apply for the Macilister hunts. Since having surgery on my Bicep tendon, I'm restricted to the crossbow. I applied for the handicap hunt, and hope I,ll get drawn.

Latest posts

Top Bottom