Restrictions on Concealed Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We need to write/call/speak with our state legislators about removing many of the silly restrictions on concealed carry. College students on campus is often cited, but more to the point faculty and staff at colleges and even elementary/secondary schools. A school teacher in Oklahoma cannot have their firearm on their person and cannot have it locked in their car on school property. Is the state accepting full responsibility for the safety of that teacher from the time they leave home in the morning until they can return to pick up their weapon they ordinarily carry pursuant to a valid SDA license?

Also, why am I trusted to carry anywhere in the state 24/7 but I cannot be trusted to wear it into a post office or the doctor's office at OU Health Sciences Center? Is it reasonable to assume that I am safer while I am on a college campus or visiting a "government office doing business with the public" so I do not need a means of self-defense? Or is it more likely an SDA license holder will start shooting up the place when he enters one of these restricted areas?

We have proven, to the required standard, that we can safely operate a handgun AND submitted to an extensive search of our background in order to exercise a fundamental right. Why is the legislature so intent on limiting these rights when there is no historical or legal reason to preclude them. It is time to start chipping away at these restrictions. Allowing teachers (no I am not a teacher) the same legal protection as the rest of us to leave a firearm locked in their car in employee parking of their business is a start. Allowing carry into the public access areas of government offices, like your neighborhood post office is another example. In fact, a simpler approach would be to change the restricted areas list to:
Bars, as guns and alcohol do not mix.
Jails/prisons/detention facilities.
Courthouses.

What do you think? What do your state legislators think?

owu1bag5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
... In fact, a simpler approach would be to change the restricted areas list to:
Bars, as guns and alcohol do not mix.
Jails/prisons/detention facilities.
Courthouses.

What do you think? What do your state legislators think?

I agree with you 99.9999%. i do not think that carry should be banned anywhere except jails/detention centers. all other places, such as bars, it is a personal responsibility to do the right thing, and those who are intent on committing a crime do not have any sense of personal responsibility.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with you 99.9999%. i do not think that carry should be banned anywhere except jails/detention centers. all other places, such as bars, it is a personal responsibility to do the right thing, and those who are intent on committing a crime do not have any sense of personal responsibility.

Totally agree 10000%.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only reason I left bars on the list is that most people who go to bars do so to consume alcoholic beverages. While you may be able to insure you do not over-imbibe, even one or two drinks may be too much. Could an attorney convince a jury, especially in a civil trial, that the one or two beers impaired your judgement even though you were not over the legal limit?
I realize a designated driver who is not drinking might still be perfectly capable of also being the designated armed member of the party, bars are a place that are more likely to cause problems. I am not a good source on this one as I avoid bars altogether. Notice it is not illegal to carry in a restaurant that serves alcoholic beverages so long as it is not their primary business.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is a topic very important to me as well. I've tried to read as much as I could find the last few months.

I am a school teacher and have participated in active shooter drills. Going through one of those drills defenseless is a sickening feeling.

Changing our current laws is necessary. Dave Kopel has some good research that I have posted on OSA before.

planefixr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say Tinker AFB needs to be added as a place to legally leave it secured in our vehicle Heck WE have to pass the gov't background check to get our job and then pass it again every five or ten years depending on your job. Gee, we can be trusted with all kinds of info and are told every year in anti-terrorism training that we are potential targets off-base yet they resrtict us of our chance for protection. I don't know about most but I have a 45 minute drive to work and home. Most of it is two-lane isolated roads. I do not like the fact they will not allow us the chance to protect ourselves.
-planefixr

owu1bag5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only reason I left bars on the list is that most people who go to bars do so to consume alcoholic beverages. While you may be able to insure you do not over-imbibe, even one or two drinks may be too much. Could an attorney convince a jury, especially in a civil trial, that the one or two beers impaired your judgement even though you were not over the legal limit?
I realize a designated driver who is not drinking might still be perfectly capable of also being the designated armed member of the party, bars are a place that are more likely to cause problems. I am not a good source on this one as I avoid bars altogether. Notice it is not illegal to carry in a restaurant that serves alcoholic beverages so long as it is not their primary business.

i do not disagree that bars are a place that should be avoided if you are choosing to carry a firearm. i have not been to a bar in a couple of years now for the sole reason i can not carry there. but to try to legislate personal responsibility is never going to work. the only thing we can do is make the laws against those who choose to make poor decisions stronger. as has been said there are already laws in place that say you can not carry in a bar and people still do it, can not carry into schools and people still do it, can not carry into many places and those are the most common places for mass shootings leaving those of us who obey the laws defenseless. it is a constant battle that we will have to fight, but we need to unite instead of divide and tell the .gov that we have a right to bear arms, and that we want to do so everywhere we are legally allowed to be.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I heard today that you could not carry a taurus judge? Don't know why you would want to but they said you can't because it can shoot 410 shells. Is that for real?

owu1bag5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I heard today that you could not carry a taurus judge? Don't know why you would want to but they said you can't because it can shoot 410 shells. Is that for real?

i have never heard such a thing. but if that has become a new law i am sure that exsniper would know about it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom