Reload data for 7.62X54R Mosin Nagant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't reload for the Nagant but the website http://7.62x54r.net probably has all the information you could ever want.

I don't think any of the surplus is reloadable since it's all surplus steel-cased stuff but you can buy brass-cased stuff from Prvi Partizan and Sellier & Bellot I think.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They actually are, but the tools are different and the primers are amazingly difficult to find. So very few people bother.

Do you mean Berdan primed? Swiss GP-11 is brass cased but it's still hard to reload for this reason.

I thought that steel ammo wasn't worth reloading because steel is so much less elastic than brass. If I'm wrong then I have a reason to start saving casings.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of my loads for 91/30s:

Reduced load:
174gn Hornady Spitzer
25.0gn 5744

Hunting/Target load:
123gn Hornady A-Max
29.0gn 5744

Hunting load:
150gn Hornady Soft-Nose
52.0 BLC2

sabot_round

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you mean Berdan primed? Swiss GP-11 is brass cased but it's still hard to reload for this reason.

I thought that steel ammo wasn't worth reloading because steel is so much less elastic than brass that. If I'm wrong then I have a reason to start saving casings.

You are not wrong. You can't resize steel cases. Once it expands, it will not go back to the original shape. You will damage your dies before you know it.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While we're on the subject, what surplus ammo shoots well out of a 91/30?

7.62x54r.net has data that show that heavy ball (yellow tip) ammo works well for the 91/30's barrel length. I have a few hundred rounds of Bulgarian heavy ball and they seem to shoot OK but the recoil sucks. I haven't tried any of the better stuff like Czech light ball though.

Not that I really care about accuracy too much; I mostly got the Nagant because it was cheap and I wanted to make things asplode.

lpcullen

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Years ago I bought some Norma brass (boxer primed) cases from Southwest shooters in OKC and reloaded them using speer 180 grain bullets and IMR 4895. I was trying to duplicate a heavy ball load when at that time all the milsurp available tended to be light ball. I Can't remember the exact charge now but they shot very well out of my 91/30. The norma brass was about a dollar a piece which I thought at the time was pretty high. I bet there are cheaper cases out there now from places like Graf and Sons. I think even with prices on 7.62x54 still climbing it is cheaper to buy and shoot milsurp if you don't mind cleaning for corrosive ammo after your done.

Latest posts

Top Bottom