K Frame Model 14s and +P Ammunition???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mln1963

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on running +P loads through the old K frames. I don't think the +P loads were around back in the 70s when these guns were made?

I have a couple of Model 14s that I like to shoot but as you know ammo is scarce. So I shoot what I can get. I have one that I've shot 50 rounds of WWB +P through. I stopped at that after someone advised not to do it.

The Model 19 sure seems to look like the same size cylinder with a lot more pressure from the 357 round. The barrel doesn't worry me as I know they are the same. So the only real part in question in my opinion would be the cylinder. Can they handle a steady load of +P loads? I could email S&W but I have a feeling they would give their lawyers answer to protect themselves from any possible lawsuit.

There are no shortages of opinions or experience here on OSA so lets hear it.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Other than the K frame Airweights, I would say ANY K frame WITH A MODEL NUMBER can handle +P ammo just fine.

Some of the EARLIER Military & Police .38 Specials that are PRE model number revolvers (like the Victory models) are better off with just standard pressure ammo.

But hell...what do i know? I'm sure I'm probably wrong. I am quite often. :rolleyes2

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
+!1 GED I run +P's in my model 15-2 no problemo's. I do need to put a new barrel on it the 1st 3/8 in or so has been bored out guy I got it from said it ahd a nasty gouge in the rifleing & lead,jackets etc would hang up on it & it would shoot like crap. Does Ok this way never did shoot it for a group. May just leave it(probably for a while any how) or get a 2in barrel for a snubby:sunbath:

mln1963

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GED

I'm of the opine that it is safe as well. However, I too have been wrong on many occasions (and freely admit it) so I was seeking the opinions of others. Thanks for taking the time.

MLN

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
wasn't the k frame designed for s/w 44 mag?

No it was the N-Frame, Originally called the Triplelock. When it first came out it was chambered in S&W's new caliber the .44Spl. The K-Frame was originally designed and released in 1899 in the then new .38Spl, not to be confused with the .38 Long. Soon after to be called the M&P. This was the birth of the K-Frame. The J-Frame wouldn't be along until 1950, all of your smaller guns with swing-out cylinders were on the I-Frame.

To the OP, sorry got carried away there. As long as your K38/14 has a model mark it will be safe with +P ammunition. Here is a thread to an excellent artical on +P .38spl ammunition.
http://www.smithandwessonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=194

mln1963

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Lee!

I haven't loaded in some 25 years and I thought the specs I'm seeing on todays ammo seemed wimpy. I was using a Speer #10 and another (Hornady I think) of the same generation when I loaded. That article makes me have a little faith in my memory. At least the stuff I can recall!! :D

If I can ever find my manuals and reloading equipment (too many moves) I may try gathering the components to do some reloading. Anyone have some pistol primers? I didn't think so! :rant:

the tR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No it was the N-Frame, Originally called the Triplelock. When it first came out it was chambered in S&W's new caliber the .44Spl. The K-Frame was originally designed and released in 1899 in the then new .38Spl, not to be confused with the .38 Long. Soon after to be called the M&P. This was the birth of the K-Frame. The J-Frame wouldn't be along until 1950, all of your smaller guns with swing-out cylinders were on the I-Frame.

To the OP, sorry got carried away there. As long as your K38/14 has a model mark it will be safe with +P ammunition. Here is a thread to an excellent artical on +P .38spl ammunition.
http://www.smithandwessonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=194

thank you i remember shooting a k22 target s/w it was the best 22 i ever shot and miss greatly, iwas told at the time that it was a 22 on a 44 frame, of course i was 15 at the time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom