Where do you buy your 223

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not looking for steel cased ammo and can't shoot steel core(I shoot at H&H from time to time). I typically shoot the Wal-Mart 55 gr UMC, but as we're all very aware of it's still tough to catch on the shelf and you can save money ordering in bulk off the net. My brother-in-law found a site where he bought 1000 rounds for 32 cents a round, it's going to take about 6 weeks to get it, but it's one of the better prices I've seen in this crazy market. I was thinking about ordering some too but before I commit that kind of money to ammo I figured I'd better check with the experts on here to see if someone knew of a better deal out there. 1000 rounds will last me quite awhile so I want the best deal I can get. I don't mind waiting, I've got enough to get me by - but I have grown weary of buying 2 boxes at a time as I happen to catch it on the shelf and having to pay .45 a round for it.

okienate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anything brass and non-corrosive, my trigger point to purchase is a net price of around less than $.35 per round. (Haven't been doing much buying lately....)

If the deal you've found is corrosive ammo, or non-reloadable, personally I have trouble paying more than $.25 per round, but then again I haven't yet run out of reloading supplies....

As long as the ammo is legit, and the dealer is legit, sounds like the $.32 a round is a reasonable deal if you're near to running out and need something to shoot, 6 week wait or not.

PS When the price was right, I tended to buy my .223/5.56 at aimsurplus.com, or ammoman.com or ammunitiontogo.com. Walmart was pretty much a gotta-have-right-now situation for me. At the time, I just didn't like paying $40 for a box of 100....

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have heard that steel cased ammo leaves a lacquer behind that can accumulate and cause problems, I just got my AR so I'm doing my best to take care of it.
The person who told you that is incorrect. Steel cased Monarch is pretty much all I shoot. As long as you clean it afterward, you won't have any problems.

mike_pinto

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The person who told you that is incorrect. Steel cased Monarch is pretty much all I shoot. As long as you clean it afterward, you won't have any problems.

+10000.. That is why I asked. We have proven that theory wrong as we have placed one of the cases under a torch for quite some time. The coating does not come off and unless you are reloading or shooting something that requires sub MOA, they are perfectly fine.

M

Latest posts

Top Bottom