Rock Island 1911 GI Review.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I promised a range report based on my first use of my new slightly used Rock Island GI 1911. :patriot: Here tis.

The gun appears well made. Prior owner had cleaned it well and the feed ramp and interior of the chamber was clean and shiny. :bowdown: Nice clean break on the trigger and the slide mounted safety is easily manipulated. I am intrigued by these 1911 machines.
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v247_MyMonkey_024.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v247_MyMonkey_022_1.jpg

Now off to the range: Setting H and H on the rifle side. MMMMM.... I posted up the black silhouette at around 7 yards. I squezzed off two groups of 5 shots to see the accuracy of the gun. Very good accuracy I can say. Slightly to the left though. :)
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v247_MyMonkey_008.jpg

However, feed problem 1 happened from the start. The weapon came with 3 mags. One Novak, and two others that I can not ascertain a name from. The no name mags apparently do not like 230 grain Ball ammo as it nosedives into the face of the feed ramp.

[Broken External Image]

Although, all three mags shot the Remington Golden Saber fine. :wink2:

Once I narrowed down the reliability of this 1911 to either the ammo or the magazines I moved the target out to about 10 or 12 yards and tried a bit of faster shooting. Wooohoo this is a shooter. Even with the little blade front site I was able to get a good site picture and rapidly send enough lead down range to kill the paper target before it attacked. :bowdown:

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v247_MyMonkey_019_1.jpg

DUring this session I noticed my next FTFeed. The slide had trouble going back to battery with a round in the chamber. A little tug on the slide and all went in ok. It did this twice on the no name mags.
[Broken External Image]

The outcome of the evaluation of this weapon is positive. It proved 100% reliable with the Novak magazine so I will order a few more of those and get rid of the others. Prior owner claimed to have 100 rounds down the gun and this makes it 200. Seems we are still in a breakin period. I will give the overall performance an 8 out of 10. Would have been 10 if it were not for the jam o mattic at times. :patriot:

[Broken External Image]
attachment.php

Thanks.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The first FTF picture definitely looks like the magazine lips are not releasin the round at the proper angle. Compare the feed lips of the no name mags to the Novak and I bet you see a big difference. You can try to reshape the defective ones to match the Novaks or just go get new Novak, Wilson, McCormick, or other high quality mags.
Looks like you got a shooter. Nice groups.

DC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I promised a range report based on my first use of my new slightly used Rock Island GI 1911. :patriot: Here tis.

The gun appears well made. Prior owner had cleaned it well and the feed ramp and interior of the chamber was clean and shiny. :bowdown: Nice clean break on the trigger and the slide mounted safety is easily manipulated. I am intrigued by these 1911 machines.

Yhis is actually a FRAME mounte safety. Looks like you got a pretty nice piece.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Yhis is actually a FRAME mounte safety. Looks like you got a pretty nice piece.

Eh... You say tomato, I say potato. :laugh6:

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Your FTF could be weak recoil spring, or dirty chamber. As you also stated it could just be the breakin of basicly a new gun. I love my SA-USGI model, which is basicly just like yours, no bells or whistles, just a good honest JMB 1911A1.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to pick up some CMCs or Wilson mags. Maybe a new recoil spring.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I already ordered two Novak mags earlier today. Not sure what recoil spring I would order. What comes stock on these? Should I consider a change?

Latest posts

Top Bottom