1903 Springfield

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty1444

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
thanks for the responses.

Its in the 400,000 serial number range. Says Sprinfield 1903 on receiver. Which puts it right at 1911. (I found the serial numbers with dates on line)Thats the date on the Sprinfield barrel too. But I still would like it to be complete if it doesnt cost an arm and a leg. Did the bolts have serial numbers I read somwhere they didnt. With this info which kind of bolt would I need. I did read there are two dif kinds. There are surplus original bolts alot of places on the net , they are parked but I guess that would be no big deaL Its all the little pieces(and putting them together). Think CMP would sell me one? Ill bet they have a few laying around.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No the CMP wont sell you a bolt. but the forum members on the cmp forum are full of wisdom and they would be a good source for a complete bolt. you need the bolt with the slightly swept back handle. it should be blued. <I THINK> i might be wrong here. is it a two groove bbl? http://www.odcmp.org/new_forum/ no serial serial numbers on the bolt. I have seen complete bolts on ebay for 60 dollars and less.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if you wish you can put it back together correct for the period and maybe increase its value a little as a collector rifle not a shooter. if this is what you wish to do you will have to get the bolt that is blued and does not have the swept back handle. it still would have no serial numbers and would have a proof mark of the manufacturer. you can find on line with a little research many resources of information on what manufacturer would have used what bolt for the time. with a little effort you might be able to with little cost restore it to a correct status and increase its value as a collector grade rifle. the finish and condition of the rifle do matter and so does the stock and all of the rest of the hardware. it can be a fun and learning time putting one of these back together and many find it very rewarding. the guys on the cmp are a valuable resource .

Latest posts

Top Bottom