Scope/Red Dot for 22lr Pistol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooner_Fan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered I did a search and came up empty.

I recently acquired a Ruger MkIII Competition Target and wanting to scope it. I am very unfamiliar with pistol scopes as well as red dots. I don't know advantages disadvantages of either and am wanting opinions for what would be best for my use of this little pistol.

The pistol will be used by myself and my 12 and 10 year old boys (only with supervision of course). It will primarily be used for target plinking, snakes, turtles, squirells, etc. I would say 70 yards and in. I don't want to spend a fortune just want something to help when sighting in on a target.

The pistol came drilled and tapped with a weaver(?) style mount. Any help/opinoin is welcome.

Thanks,

austin.brown

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What ever scope you decide on getting check out opticsplanet.net. I have bought a scope off them and the customer service was fine, nothing to write home about but no problems either. I also found a Nikon 3-9x50 on ebay so you might look there to. Good Luck.

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a 22 LR pistol your best best wouyld be a nice red dot such as the Ultra Dot or the old Tasco ProPoint BigDot. Purchase the largest dot or a model with variable dot size. I use the 30mm Ultra Dot with the 4 reticle size and leave it on the 12 minute dot.

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have heard that there is a small gun show in Bixby this coming weekend, there are normally several vendors selling red dots/scopes, suggest you attend with your pistol an check it out. I believe you should be able to find what you want and normally the prices are pretty decent.

Go_Ordnance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm actually considering the same thing. While I think you should weigh the value of your boys learning to shoot it with just iron sights, the red dot will add ease and some fun factor.

I'm looking at this one LINK. For $150, I think it's a good compromise between price/quality. It's not a $50 Tasco, but it's also not a $500+ Aimpoint.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shoot the Ruger Mark IV Hunter currently. Owned every model that Ruger has offered over the years. I've never used any scope in the past as we hunted rabbits over beagles with them, and needed open sights for the running shots. When the Mark IV came into my life, I thought I'd try the red dot route. I think I made the right decision picking up the Bushnell. I don't remember what model it is, but it has 5 different reticles you can select with a knob for the red dot, and then you can select the green dot, with another 5 different reticles.
OK, since I didn't want JP to make fun of me for not getting out of my chair and walking to the gun safe, I did it. Its the Bushnell Trophy. Ran about $80 when it was purchased a couple years ago. I can't imagine not having a red dot on my .22 pistol. This is the only one I've looked through, so I guess I'm biased.
I just posted this pic in another thread on this forum, but I'll do it so you don't have to look for it to see it.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P8090268.jpg

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I feel like letting go of $200 I'm going to pick up the Burris Fastfire.

It will be the topper to my Buckmark project. I already have the mount for it sitting on my work bench. Just need to pony up for the optic and the pic rail base for the optic. (fastfires have multiple mounting options. Unfortunately they are typically sold seperately.)

mln1963

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I gotta ask. Did you shoot all those frogs with a pistol? I've heard of giggin' frogs but never shooting them. I assume you are only after the legs?

Latest posts

Top Bottom