Bowling Pin loads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I am going to go to one of the Bowling Pin shoots next weekend. I have never been to one before. I was wondering what kind of ammo works best. I understand that if someone had a semiauto pistol that shot 1 ounce shotgun slugs at 3000 fps and if he could hold the gun on target he would probably win.
All I have is a government model .45. I have 200 grain semiwadcutter bullets or some Golden Sabres I could load up. Would a light target load knock those pins off the table good enough or do I need a more powerful load?

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably ought to load'em heavy. If you have never hefted a bowling pin, they are not light. I would probably go as heavy a bullet as you can, to make sure that you have enouch "wallop". Good luck.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd load up those Golden Sabers to about 850fps (if 230 gr) if it were me. Don't hit the pins too low, but at the lower end of the fattest part. You want them to fly straight back off the table, so you're going for their center of gravity.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would like to shoot some pins. I have never done it before. What is the main objective to scoring? Time and pins? Or just pins?
There are two different threads going on in the Competition area, both have links in them that explain the rules. Basicly it is the time till the last pin either falls off the table or hits the ground X how many runs = your score. Lowest score wins.

Latest posts

Top Bottom