Optic Recommendations for my Savage Heavy Barrel 308

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guns N' Cars

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm new to the Scope world, but looking for some opinions for a nice scope for My Savage 308

I would like a scope with at least a 600yrd range. I would deal with a 300yrd range if budget wasn't there.

Don't really understand the Magnifications or sizes very well at this point, looking for some direction. Wondering what you guys recommend, use, or just point me in the right direction so I can find out for myself.

Thanks for any help!

abinok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Almost any modern scope will allow you to shoot your 308 to well past 600yds. If the scope won't you just need a different base that will allow you to use the scope's range of adjustment to its fullest by adding hight to the rear of the base... which translates to having more "up" moa in your scope.

I would highly reccomend you have a look at another forum: http://longrangehunting.com/

This is the definitive site for longrange shooting in the usa... non sanctioned target shooting excluded.

I setup a savage 112BVSS some years ago as a switch barrel platform for various longrange tasks. I have used the same rifle to score hits on prarie dogs, with 4 different calibers at ranges I am unwilling to discuss on this forum.

The critical info needed in selecting a scope for LR use would be:

1. What is it going to be used for?
2. how far do you plan to shoot?
3. How much do you want to spend?

My first suggestions in response to these questions would be:
1. Figure this out... its most improtant....
2. You will want to shoot further eventually than you do now. I know of a fellow that had good succes with 308 at ranges up to 2600yds.
3. With price... plan, ask questions, and be flexable. The easiest way to fix the LR shooting problem is to money whip the optics issue... but there are plenty of good deals to be had, even as low as the $250-$300 range... but ill tell you know. LR shooting is about the most expensive portion of the shooting sports one can get into.

Feel free to Pm any specific questions you may have...

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Savage 10FLP .308 with Choate Ultimate Stock (sniper variant) with a SAV-2 trigger and went with a Burris Fullfield @ TAC scope. It is 4.5 x 14. This is a great combination. This Scope has Burris' version of Mil Dots and with thr right load, is really effective at ranging out to 600yd when zeroed at 200 yds. This isn't a cheap scope (about $ 400), but really performs well. A friend has a Leupold 4.5 x 14 and I believe the optics to be comparible for about half the price.

Reaction score
And no I don't mean the "undergarment".

What is the budget, *exactly*? No way to begin to help until know that. Are you willing to buy new, or used only?

Will you ever be shooting at first or last light, or is this a daytime range gun only?

How good is your eyesight generally?

Are you willing to get a 20 MOA base, or are you wanting the scope to handle all adjustments out to 600?

Do you care at all about the ability to make close in shots, say, at 30 yards or less (such as when hunting), or is this strictly a target gun?

You said you want to go to 600, but what's the most common range you'll be shooting at most of the time - 600 or some other distance?

If you can answer those, I can make a couple of recommendations. There's a bazillion scopes out there, and each price range has bad, better, good values within, depending upon features wanted, and the makers of the best values can vary price range by price range.

Donald

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The easiest way to fix the LR shooting problem is to money whip the optics issue... but there are plenty of good deals to be had, even as low as the $250-$300 range... but ill tell you know. LR shooting is about the most expensive portion of the shooting sports one can get into.

Feel free to Pm any specific questions you may have...

Been watching off and on. I shoot short range Benchrest. Now that is an expensive sport. Never shot long range but can sure tell you about the short range stuff. I have 5 high power scopes right now. Bought them all used. Last one paid $1,000 for it. Leupold Comp 40X, frozen internally with a Brackney external adjustment system. Sets on a Viper drop port action epoxied into a Robertson stock. Shoot Kreiger, Bartlein, Shilen barrels all in 6ppc. Have another Viper action, older style glass stock with a frozen Weaver T36 in a TSI Systems external mount. Kind of like having two race horses to feed and take care of. Right now I have 6 barrels for two guns. Another on order. Life is about 1,000 rounds of competetive accuracy and at $400/barrel, UGH!!!! I think best high power scope for the money is the Weaver T series, 24x and 36x. Not too good for hunting anything except Pdogs though. Later.....Donald

abinok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As an example... this group was fired with a 7mm wildcat cartridge I designed. The scope is a relatively cheap Millet, and when this group was fired, it had been along for the ride on more than 1100rds of the 7mm, and 300 Win Mag mixed...

7mmat400.jpg
[/IMG]

Would it shoot better with a nightforce... maybe... but then Icouldn't afford ammo either

Same load at 1900yds...
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v726_abinok_estydubbaya180berger1900.jpg

ENC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can get a good nikon for about a c-note that will serve you well till you get more trigger time and realize what is best for your needs.

Evan

Latest posts

Top Bottom