Building a 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
They're interesting to do.

The best thing I can recommend to you is get quality reference materials (start with the Kuhnhausen manuals).

You will invest a lot in tools, I had no idea stones, a lug cutter, sear jig, and files etc. could cost until I added everything up afterwards.

Nothing will drop in like your AR-15 did, they don't just screw together like that. On my 2011 I just finished every part had to be touched with a stone or file, nothing fit right off the bat.

It was the hardest mechanical task I have ever undertaken but it was very rewarding. You will end up with a gun you will be unbelievably attached to, and if you have mechanical ability I think you will be able to produce something superior to factory pistols on your first try.

I am still trying to completely figure out the trigger on mine though.

okie98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have built several and learned the hard way that a good instructional guide is worth the cost. Midway has some good books and DVDs.

doctruptwn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your starting with a Caspian, Fusion, or any other reputable Companies Frame and Slide you shouldn't have big issues. Plan on fitting every single piece. With at a minumum polishing with a set of stones, and life gets more difficult from there. Generally the build can be completed with basic tools and a set of stones. If you are doing it to save oney don't, because you won't. If you doing it for the satisfaction and to build on your knowledge go for it.

I completed my build with out any fancy jigs or tools. It works great and the accuracy is far in excess of my abilities. My best advice is go slow, read everything you can find about building a 1911, and don't get in a hurry or try short cuts, and lastly, Have a good gunsmith on retainer. Remember, "Drop in parts, Means dropping by the Gunsmith"

Latest posts

Top Bottom